This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Life in 2008

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Life in 2008
Sgt. Pinback
Member # 987

- posted      Profile for Sgt. Pinback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This article from 1968 has been doing the rounds a little bit, and is in many ways quite prescient.

One of the biggest howlers though, is the almost ubiquitous prediction that we'll all be living in domed cities.

This seems utterly ludicrous now, and even in 1968 there was no real indication that the technology would exist to pull such a trick off.

I wonder if this ill thought out prediction perhaps comes from a sense of deep insecurity following the aerial bombings of the second world war and other conflicts. Or perhaps it's something far more prosaic; people not living in such well insulated homes back then for example.

Posts: 3144 | From: Manchester UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ludicrous, huh?
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sgt. Pinback
Member # 987

- posted      Profile for Sgt. Pinback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh
Posts: 3144 | From: Manchester UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mitch
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Mitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's always the 'living in a bubble underwater' prediction as well.

"...it's where the people of tomorrow will take their holidays..."

Why? It'd be shit and dangerous.

Posts: 1949 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Astana actually exists? I thought it was just made up for the Borat book. Is there really an Almaty Jewtown too?

Anyway, I reckon the original prediction is just one of those slight-but-significant mistranslations, like the one in the Bible about walking on water. What they actually predicted was that we'd all be living in doomed cities.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC