This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » The Wire (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  15  16  17   
Author Topic: The Wire
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah hah, but what was it called in '85 ? And what if the guy had moved in from another state where it was called something else ?
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good points.

However,

quote:
In 1971, the Department was renamed the Motor Vehicle Administration and placed within the Department of Transportation (Chapter 526, Acts of 1970).
You've got me with the other one. I stand by my moral outrage, though.

[ 05.12.2007, 01:41: Message edited by: Soccer Scrimmage ]

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you. I was pulling my hair out for almost all of Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle for showing towns in New Jersey that should've been all flat cornfields (Cherry Hill,) and having them with mountains that could be hang-glided off of. Or having non-existent burger joints in towns that didn't have them, or giving non-accurate information (the joint in Edison saying the closest White Castle was in Cherry Hill, when there was one 5 miles away in New Brunswick.)
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where was it actually shot?

Homicide used to do that kind of shit, too, as I've complained many times, but The Wire has been incredibly accurate, including throwing in silly little jokes only Marylanders could get. Except, of course, for the accents. God it pisses me off when someone with a New York or Boston accent talks about growing up in Baltimore

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mini Wire episodes

Don't worry, they can be watched without giving away any future plot details etc.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, not sure if they are the same things that were posted on page 9, because those earlier YouTube links keep crashing my computer . . .
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belhaven
Member # 426

- posted      Profile for Belhaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, they've just started showing the first season of The Wire only now on Norwegian TV. I watched the first season on Swedish TV about five years ago, but there was an incredibly long gap between the first and the second season, three years or something, and I got forgot all about it.

The good thing about being five years behind is that they will probably show the whole thing in one long sequence rather than season wise woth breaks in between. I vaguley recall from last time I watched it that there was a lot of different characters involved and it was pretty hard to remember who they all were. With constant long-term exposure it will be much easier to keep track of the different people in the series.

Anyway, I look forward to catch up with this thread in a few years time when I know what you are all talking about.

Posts: 966 | From: Oslo, Norway | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

Yeah, Belhaven, one of the strengths of the show is that is assumes that you are smart and patient; as David Simon put it in an interview, "Fuck the average viewer." The show is so complicated that it's bewildering when you first watch it, but you will be amply rewarded.

Here's an article from the Baltimore Sun; there are some very minor spoilers:

quote:
Fact and fiction, down to 'The Wire'
HBO drama to end run with new and old faces, public and private lies

By David Zurawik

Sun television critic

December 6, 2007
Click here to find out more!

Baltimore defense attorney Billy Murphy does an extended turn defending a state senator indicted on corruption charges.

Former state legislator Larry Young, who was expelled from the Senate in 1998, appears as a talk-show host interviewing Murphy's client on WOLB-AM - the Baltimore station where Young now works as a host.

And former city police commissioner Edward T. Norris, now one of Baltimore's most popular radio personalities, is back as a cynical homicide detective.

Such a strange brew of Baltimore fact and fiction could mean only one thing: a new season of the HBO drama The Wire. Season 5, consisting of the locally produced drama's final 10 episodes, is scheduled to premiere Jan. 6, and HBO made the first seven hours available this week to critics.

One of the best things about the season is that Dominic West, after a minimal presence last year, returns to a leading role as rogue detective Jimmy McNulty.

Even better, Clark Johnson, who did such stellar work as Detective Meldrick Lewis in NBC's Baltimore-based cop drama Homicide: Life on the Street, joins the cast in a starring role as Augustus "Gus" Haynes, hard-bitten city editor of a fictionalized version of The Sun newsroom. (Though some scenes were shot on Sun property, the paper did not review the scripts or have any other involvement in the production.) Haynes appears to be a moral center in a government and media landscape of lies, hypocrisy, back-scratching and back-stabbing.

Each season of The Wire has explored different territory. Season 1 examined the ways that the Baltimore Police Department and area drug operations resembled each other. Season 2 looked at organized labor through the prism of the port of Baltimore. Season 3 focused on City Hall. And last season, which ended last December, went inside the city school system to deliver some of the series' most memorable moments.

This year, creator David Simon - who spent 13 years reporting for The Sun before leaving to become a writer and producer on Homicide - turns his lens on media.

The season's theme is public and private lies. The epigram at the opening of the Jan. 6 episode says, "The bigger the lie, the more they believe."

The author is Detective William "Bunk" Moreland (Wendell Pierce), and the first scene features Moreland and Norris coercing a confession from a teen criminal by lying to the young man.

Two major lies drive the action this year - one cooked up by an out-of-control McNulty in reaction to Draconian cutbacks at police headquarters, the other born in the belly of the fictionalized Sun newsroom by an ambitious and amoral reporter with a history of making up quotes.

Nowhere is the line between real and imagined more blurred than in Simon's version of The Sun. He populates his TV newsroom with several former Sun reporters and editors.

Two of the first Sun staffers that viewers will see Jan. 6 are played by former Sun columnist Michael Olesker and former reporter Laura Lippman. The latter is Simon's wife.

And from the same article:

quote:

Catching up with your favorites
BUBBLES
Andre Royo
The longtime addict has been off drugs for more than a year. He's living in his sister's basement and working at a soup kitchen.

OMAR
Michael K. Williams
Omar has left Baltimore for sunnier climes, but he will be back and more deadly than ever.

MARLO STANFIELD
Jamie Hector
Marlo has so much money that he needs help laundering it. But he's still scheming for more.

DETECTIVE WILLIAM "BUNK" MORELAND
Wendell Pierce
He just wants to do honest "police work" at a time when that seems all but impossible.

lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Series 5 has arrived at work. I am unspeakably excited, but I'm not here next week so won't get to see any till the week after. Well, I might get to watch ep 1 if I stop faffing around on the internets.
Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

H&KGTWC was shot in Canada, SocScrim. And it showed. The only place that looked anything like NJ was Hoboken and Princeton U.
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

lyra, I hope by "faffing around on the internets" you mean "uploading the entirety of the season to a torrent site".

Edit: Oh God, that's awful, jv. I would have lost my shit if that had happened to some set-in-Maryland film. Once when I was visiting my friend at UCLA, we stumbled upon a shooting location on campus. In front some buildings there was a sign that said, "Harvard University". I am not sure who, exactly, thought UCLA looked like Harvard. The movie turned out to be "How High" with Redman and Method Man, so I guess there wasn't really a need for great verisimilitude.

[ 07.12.2007, 14:52: Message edited by: Soccer Scrimmage ]

jason voorhees
Member # 79

We've talked about How High a few times on this forum. Inca has a story about that as well if I'm not mistaken.

Definitely one of the top 5 most notorious otfilms.

That's crazy, lyra. Imagine if you had the whole last season of the Sopranos.

Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my story was basically what SocScrim said. One day the Harvard sign went up, and notices that by walking through the quad, we were agreeing with the possibility of being filmed.

Things I saw being shot at UCLA while I was there:

How High
Jane Austen's Mafia!
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV)

I still think Spaulding Gray being in How High is incredibly sad.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

quote:
...and notices that by walking through the quad, we were agreeing with the possibility of being filmed.
What if you refused to be filmed? Were you allowed to skip classes that could only be reached by walking through the quads?
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can easily bypass the quad to get to classes.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC