This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » The Wire (Page 15)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17   
Author Topic: The Wire
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, thanks for the tip, but that sounds like a lot of effort, especially as I'm drinking whiskey faster than McNulty on a bad night right now.
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Copy.
Paste.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of whisky are you drinking?

Edit: and the fuckign Fresh Air website is down. I really wanted to listen to that.

[ 23.01.2008, 03:31: Message edited by: Soccer Scrimmage ]

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woodford Reserve, Distiller's Select. As you know, it's getting fucking cold in this city, and one must stay warm.
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

OK

SPOILER ALERT!

**********SEASON FIVE EPISODE THREE *********

OK.

So, what's Marlo's game re: Prop Joe right now? He doesn't really buy into this co-op shit, obviously. So he's using him to cut him off by getting right to the source...right? But doesn't Prop Joe see that?

And really, I just wanted to say: Omar's back.

/ **********SEASON FIVE EPISODE THREE *********

lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
********More series 5 spoilers for the whole series***********

I am left *fucking* depressed by this series. So so so bastard depressed.

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

For those watching S5, there's an interesting discussion on Slate about each episode. It gets good when David Simon himself suddenly enters the fray -- and he does come off as somewhat unhinged. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing for somebody making television in America today.
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do the Pogues continue to get an airing? 'Body of an American' was superb during that cops wake in season 3 (half way through). As I have read elsewhere, Bunk is probably the only black cop in the world who knows the words of every pogues song.
Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That cracked me up in series 2 when McNutty was drunk driving to a Pogues song. I also loved his line in series 3 about drinking Bushmills - "I don't want that Proddy shit."
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
he was drink driving to transmetroplitan, the first song off the first pogues album. The proddy line was great as wel, also a response to a taunt of him not being Irish "I had 14 jamesons last night, how much more green can you get?"

I have found the clip here, its superb. Only downside is they reckon it was sally macalane, which it wasn’t. The scene later when they showed the bar from the outside with people being sick, they were playing SM then

http://www.hearya.com/2007/12/29/the-wire-coles-wake-the-pogues-sally-maclennane/

Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
***** MINOR SEASON 5 EPISODES 1 & 2 SPOILERS ********

i think this newspaper story arc is gonna piss me off. the editor is so mentally retarded and socially inept that there is no way he could ever have become an editor. i had the same problem with the marimow character in previous series, but he seemed to be there chiefly for comic relief - this dude looks like being a major antagonist in whatever's about to happen and i'm having problems suspending my disbelief.

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*** SEASON 5 UP TO EPISODE 7 POSSIBLE SPOILERS ***

i'm not really taken with this series so far. mcnulty and freamon have gone mad. omar has become a cartoon superhero while most of the interesting project characters have been killed off. characters like daniels, kima and carcetti barely exist. instead there's this sucky newspaper story arc wasting everyone's time.

so many things to piss me off:

* the editors. i suppose i have occasionally come across people as useless as these, but never in such senior positions. surely they could achieve their purpose in the plot without coming across as caricatures?

* templeton's utter charmlessness. so he's a liar, a cheat, a fantasist - does he also have to be a bore?

* the old "deadwood" city journalist who has to take the buyout turns out to be the best reporter in america, capable of ad libbing instant character profiles that sound like wikipedia entries, and getting major stories just by growling "don't fuckin bullshit me" over the phone to his source in the police department. even these editors know that the best reporter in america is worth employing, who cares if he costs "one and a half twentysomethings".

* the noble city editor annoys me too. his air of surprise and indignation at the antics of the idiot editors is curious as he's supposedly been in the newspaper game 15 or 20 years. such a seasoned hack would not tell a colleague "if it bleeds it leads", and i doubt he would stand in the newsroom loudly yet obviously "deconstructing" carcetti's speech on the retirement of burrell.

clay davis' voice has been the one saving grace of the series so far.

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loose Cannon ?
Member # 642

- posted      Profile for Loose Cannon ?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like TV for auto flagellists

Take up salsa dancing instead

Posts: 1904 | From: a grassy knoll | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

season 5 highlight so far: sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

[ 05.02.2008, 02:22: Message edited by: garcia en dolor ]

Chopped Up Man
Member # 353

- posted      Profile for Chopped Up Man         Edit/Delete Post 
**** FIRST 7 EPISODES OF SEASON 5 SPOILERS ****

I can only agree with everything you've said there garcia, and would add Clay Davis getting off a stone cold charge with the flimsiest defence ever. Sheeeeeeiiit, indeed.

There have to be loads of interesting things to say about print news priorities and its wafer thin analysis but instead we're getting this weird Stephen Glass scenario and David Simon's petty gripes about management at the Baltimore Sun.

Still, lots to enjoy - Bubs ( Heaven And Here is good on this ), Dukie, Kima, Carver, Chris, the whole rich tapestry thing.

Posts: 756 | From: Semi-Essex | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC