This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » The Wire (Page 16)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17   
Author Topic: The Wire
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LA Weekly column on a Lance Reddick (Lt. Daniels) appearance at a local video store. He read for the Bunk and Bubbles parts also.

I was interested to read this part:

quote:
Afterward, McCoy explains that he usually doesn't come to Rocket Video. He saw a flyer here last week, while he was searching for the first season of The Wire on DVD.

"I had been to literally twelve different video stores and they had all been out. They didn't have it here either, but I saw the advertisement for Lance to come and I thought, 'Wow! I'll definitely try and make it.'"

I know it doesn't have Sopranos-like ratings, but it seems that The Wire is huge on DVD.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, he was apparently second choice for Bubbles. That's mind-blowing.
Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chopped Up Man
Member # 353

- posted      Profile for Chopped Up Man         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone not watching season 5 should really avoid HBO's website for a while.

*** WIRE SEASON 5 EPS 8-9 & DEXTER S1E1 SPOILERS ***

Is it a coincidence that the doll's body in Dexter's fridge had red ribbons around the limbs and Dukie was watching Dexter? Probably, but it might have been anticipation of the "Whaaaat?" reaction to the serial killer fiction.

Anyway, this is right back on track. I'm not going to talk about the obvious stuff just in case anybody inadvertently glances at this post but the scenes with Bubs straight and clean and Dukie preparing to take his place were gut-wrenching. It looks like the unravelling of Clay Davis and McNulty's manoeuvrings might be heading in interesting directions, too. Keep the faith.

Posts: 756 | From: Semi-Essex | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
S5 E8 & 9 spoilers

is this off today's active topics yet??

i never even use today's active topics.

MASSIVE SPOILERS

yeah, the last two episodes have been a real return to form. the newspaper storyline still rings hollow. the fucking editor characters are aliens! "i know how [to win pulitzers]. that's why they pay me the big bucks!" (another ridiculous character was the FBI dude who comes in and yammers on at the stony-faced mcnulty and kima all about his media work. the show got by without these caricatures before.

but i have double standards. clay davis is also rather cartoonish in this series but i'm loving him. "playing the race card... shameful." and i enjoyed the FBI psych profile scene although that was played purely for laughs.

for me, the moment it all came to life was that stunning event involving kenard. FUCK ME! i sat with my hand clapped to my mouth and a frozen wide eyed stare for the next ten minutes. i have not felt such a sense of frustration and waste and despair watching television, at least not since houllier managed liverpool.

somehow almost every scene SINCE that happened has been electric - especially throughout episode 9, which i rate one of the best ever. marlo losing it for the first time in the jail cell was hypnotic. "you look good, girl". bubbles' speech at the NA meeting. and those awful scenes with dukie being forced back into the slum, michael not even remembering the story about the ice cream... i am usually bored by dukie storylines, but i wept openly. admittedly i was in a fragile emotional state after a very heavy weekend. but especially coming after the tearjerking bubbles scene, it was too much.

and then this stuff they've got going on of the old characters being reborn... omar - michael, bubbles - dukie, namond - ... carcetti? and i guess randy is gonna turn out to be a gangster motherfucker.

i think mcnulty's gonna join prop joe and omar in the last episode, probably via suicide. it's a tragedy, for a proper tragedy you need bodies. poor mcnulty, he doesn't even seem to have a spiritual successor anywhere. meanwhile the various cnuts at the newspaper, city hall and police dept will presumably cover up his lies to further glorify themselves. i hope i'm wrong about that and they mix it up a bit, because that outcome would be a bit too cartoonishly david simonist (like the fbi dude and the editors).

only one left, albeit 90 minutes... WHY DIDN'T THEY DO 13 EPISODES?

[ 28.02.2008, 03:34: Message edited by: garcia en dolor ]

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kima was always McNulty's protege.

So that's it.

I avoided posting anything about the episodes, only because The Wire is different for me. I see it in terms of seasons rather than episodes. Or albums instead of singles.

I'm in the process of making an entire write up about the 5 seasons, per SocScrim's request. It may take a few days/weeks, however.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SORRY TODAY'S ACTIVE TOPICS

it seemed like sydnor was being set up as the new mcnulty in the scene with judge phelan.

"you should come over to dinner tonight. yvette's making brisket." to the victor the spoils eh?

[ 07.03.2008, 18:09: Message edited by: garcia en dolor ]

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Massive wrap-up David Simon interview
Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I WASNT AWARE OF THE WIRE PREQUELS UNTIL I CAME ACROSS THEM ON AMAZON

the wire pq on amazon

[ 16.03.2008, 15:23: Message edited by: rick derris ]

Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nil a fhios agam
Member # 1386

- posted      Profile for Nil a fhios agam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're only short clips Rick. They're on the HBO site as well.

I've finished the last episode now at this stage. Still trying to formulate in my mind how good season 5 actually was. The fact that I've thought about it a lot in the last week or so would point to the fact that I thought it was excellent but for a lot of the episodes I couldn't shake off an underwhelming feeling in my gut.

The 5 series as a block was unsurpassed in terms of quality on TV though.

Posts: 921 | From: Fair City | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPoilers**********

* the editors. i suppose i have occasionally come across people as useless as these, but never in such senior positions. surely they could achieve their purpose in the plot without coming across as caricatures?

I'm not sure about this. I think it is reasonable enough. This guy is an amiable useful idiot parachuted into a smaller local newspaper to gut the office while avoiding a massive strike. As for him not being very bright, have you read many american newspapers lately.

The one thing that is unrealistic about the baltimore sun is that the 40+ year olds haven't been wiped out already. you don't have to go to baltimore to see this happening. Read the Irish independent. There is hardly a journalist over 40 working for them any more. The herald is largely written by people in their first and second year out of journalism college. Then they get fired and replaced with this years intake.

I would contend that geraldine Kennedy is every bit as mindlessly destructive as the cunt editor, except she thinks she is being clever, and she did it in the teeth of an economic boom.

* the old "deadwood" city journalist who has to take the buyout turns out to be the best reporter in america, capable of ad libbing instant character profiles that sound like wikipedia entries, and getting major stories just by growling "don't fuckin bullshit me" over the phone to his source in the police department. even these editors know that the best reporter in america is worth employing, who cares if he costs "one and a half twentysomethings".

He knew about someone having covered the area for 10 years. (I can't remember which character) but I hazard that you could draw up a pretty good summation of the career of roberto mancini if asked at such short notice. It doesn't matter what the editor knows about the journalist, the decision to fire him isn't in their hands.

nor does his ability to write a good article important. Newspapers don't sell themselves to their customers on the strength of their journalism. People will buy your newspaper generally speaking no matter what shit you put in it. Sales in the irish times haven't fallen even though that boss eyed wagon has sacked anyone to the left of david cameron, and devotes acres of newsprint to charles krauthammer, and other such cunts.

what newspapers actually do is sell their customers to advertisers. So what if the standard of courtroom reporting drops, no-one cares. Everyones standard of reporting is also dropping because everyone is doing exactly the same thing. If you can get some kid to fill the space for 50% of the wage then great. It doesn't matter that the actual article is shit.

Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
****END OF FIVE SPOILERS*********

I bought the newspaper storyline hook, line and sinker. Newspapers here BLOW, and this showed why.

All in all a great final season. One of the rare seasons I was absolutely on the edge of my seat for the entire McNutty-Freamon insanity. Like I said, I'll have a big writeup for the entire series when I get the chance.

But Snoop's "how does my hair look" was one of the most wonderful death scenes around.

And yes, while Kima was always McNulty's protege, she went over to the Bunk side the last few eps. And yes, Sydnor has learned from 2 of the best/worst.

********SPOILERS OVER*******

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I just say that I hate Herc. The western district way indeed.
Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

another ridiculous character was the FBI dude who comes in and yammers on at the stony-faced mcnulty and kima all about his media work. the show got by without these caricatures before.

I'll have to disagree, as the guy who took over the Major Crimes Unit in season 4 was a direct parody of the intense, forceful, order-barking lieutenant of network tv. Simon's had a few parodys of network television police, and how his characters look down on them. Especially the bit with the FBI agent being a consultant on CSI and taking on the Unabomber for 18 years, and McNulty-Kima not being impressed and saying that they took on 300 murders last year.

The point Simon made is America loves serial killer stories and FBI stories, when cities have thousands upon thousands of drug murders every year. The caricatures were a way of saying "here's the fake shit, I drop the real shit."

garcia en dolor
Member # 152

you're right that that character was an example of a dismally two-dimensional pre-fifth series character. but remember he was called marimow, after a baltimore sun editor david simon fell out with. i didn't realise he was meant to be a parody of a network tv cop, maybe because i don't see network cop shows. when i read about the marimow connection i assumed his self-righteous stupidity was designed to mock simon's old boss.

as for other cop show references, i vaguely remember another bit where dukie and michael's brother are watching dexter, but i can't remember the point it was making because i've never seen dexter.

[ 25.03.2008, 00:38: Message edited by: garcia en dolor ]

jason voorhees
Member # 79

******SEASON 3 & 4 & 5 SPOILERS*********

Herc's trajectory was absolutely incredible. Has there ever been a more shades-of-grey character.

His lowest moment, the moment I wanted him to get crushed, was ruining Randy's life in season 4. However, the scene with Carver was incredible when he acknowledged that he was rightfully fired (when he was lobbying for Collichio.) Herc is a fair man with no sense of fairness. He has wisdom, but no intelligence. He cares for others when he isn't plagued by his extreme narcissism and selfishness.

I mean in season 4 he catches Chris and Snoop with the nailgun, which would've brought the entire Marlo Stanfield operation down. However, he was only looking for the camera - only caring about himself. He put the camera also ahead of Randy's life.

Granted, his supervisor was horrible in season 4, and Herc proved that he could be a great cop with great supervision as in season 1 and Daniels. This is a running theme in the show, how valuable mentorship and leadership is. Even Marlo is impressed that the slow kid taking care of his pigeons has the older pigeons taking care of the smaller ones.

By the end, because Herc didn't have the leadership and was left to his own feeble devices, he was drummed out of the department. He was a Sergeant before he was ready, he was put in a decision-making capacity before he was ready, and was left in a situation where he had no quality supervision before he was ready. (All of which, of course, was poetic justice for stabbing a great supervisor in Bunny in the back in season 3.)

However, this will lead to Levy's leadership and mentorship, and him being Levy's "schnuga". Which of course will lead to fostering the same drug-infested enviornment that he wanted to get rid of only a few seasons before.

The show had people with extreme good luck (Marlo, Carcetti, Carver,) people with bad luck who discover a new way of life (Prezbylewski, Cutty, Bunny, Daniels,) and people with flat out bad luck (Avon, Bubbles, Mayor Royce.) Herc was someone who'd do bad things, get punished for his bad things, and go right back to doing new bad things. By the time he's 98, he may be a really wise and good person.

*******SEASON 3-4-5 SPOILERS**********

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC