This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » The Wire (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: The Wire
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone who has a brain and who can be categorized as a human being should watch season 1 on DVD. It's every bit as good as the Sopranos season 1, and an absolutely magnificent story. Its focus was the "War on Drugs," and every meaning of that.

Season 2 struggled a bit, but some loved it. It focused on the dockworkers union.

Season 3 focuses on city hall, and now season 4 focuses on the inner-city school system.

As far as Burn's quote about how bad it is; all I can say is the squalor and grit showed in the projects of season 1 - my wife said those were the good neighborhoods. Baltimore is f'd up beyond belief.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Wire is the best thing on telly bar none, glad to see such love for it here.

I will be starting to watch series 3 at work soon and I can't wait.

Nice to see mention of The Corner too - not many people seem to have seen it but it would be so worth your while getting those DVDs too. The final episode of The Corner is genuinely the most moving piece of television I have ever seen.

[ 11.09.2006, 17:03: Message edited by: lyra. ]

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The_Liquidator
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for The_Liquidator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to see you have good taste in telly and all lyra. The Corner was magnificent.
Posts: 6801 | From: The city to the sticks | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike toreno
Member # 1509

- posted      Profile for mike toreno     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to start watching this. I've had disc 2 of series 1 sat on my coffee table for over a month as Lovefilm have yet to send me disc 1. They managed to send Deadwood in order so why not this? Most frustrating.
Posts: 513 | From: a gosh-forsaken heckhole | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Wire is brill, I was alerted to it by JV and have seen all three seasons.
I think Season two with the dockers was pretty good from a social standpoint albeit less action packed than the others.

I will be going onto the net for season 4.

P.s My cousin who is from Hackney grew up with Stringer Bell.

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
se3_uk
Member # 1152

- posted      Profile for se3_uk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I still decided to watch the first episode of Season 4 last night.
I'm so jealous. I'm going to have to find it on a torrent site - I can't wait for FX to bring it to the UK.

It's easily the best show on TV - each series is like a well-rounded novel. Other shows are merely a set of short stories linked by a common theme.

The Shield comes close, so does Deadwood. The Sopranos looks set to go out on a high but the formulaic nature of the last couple of series lowers it in my estimation.

Posts: 1579 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go to TVunderground which is a good torrent site.
Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh just started series 3. It's very good indeed.
I love how all the same stuff is happening, but all the relationships have been shuffled like a pack of cards.

[ 20.09.2006, 17:25: Message edited by: lyra. ]

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingco
Member # 93

- posted      Profile for wingco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently on a Wire binge. I'm reminded of how advanced Hill Street Blues seemed in the early 80s - and indeed, was - and how much of an evolution The Wire represents. Not all of modern life is rubbish. Elsewhere, entropy and retroism and market forces have a tediously sclerotic effect on cultural ouput but not the cop show. This an example of a genre getting better and better and better. The recommissioning of another series despite near-zero viewers is prescient. Slowly, slowly, very slowly and perhaps retrospectively, people will come round to The Wire. Took me fucking long enough, a mere several months after having bought the first series on DVD.
Posts: 4035 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really need to watch the earlier ones, esp. Season 3. I know there's a lot of stuff going on that I don't know the history behind.

Marlo Stanfield is becoming a great character. He wasn't all that prominent in the first episodes from this season, but in the last one, the guy playing him was outstanding. There's not a sense of menace from him, but just an apathy towards shit that doesn't concern him that says a lot about his character.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

We were talking about this at work earlier (we're just finishing off the work on series 3 that we're doing). apparently there was an article in the Guardian guide about it at the weekend, the fact that HBO feel it's worth continuing to produce something that people feel is too complex for week-by-week viewing, but which is so rewarding, is encouraging.

also word of mouth leading to big dvd sales is crucial - almost everyone I know is watching on DVD now especially after being harangued by the likes of me.

[ 04.10.2006, 18:04: Message edited by: lyra. ]

Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Wendell Pierce, the actor that plays Bunk, was in Spike Lee's Katrina documentary.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've skipped this thread to avoid spoilers; apologies.

Does anyone know where I can buy this on DVD at a reasonable price in London? It wasn't in Fopp in town and something like 100 for season one in HMV.

Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carcass, pm.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

Try amazon or play maybe? seem to always be cheaper than shops.
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC