This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » Decades (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Decades
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, he's got ten different films for the 80s...plus, I'd say they work best together.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you can't have 1 and 2, Derek.
I don't see why not- in each case they're part of one single opus. As Incandenza says, Dekalog is actually ten separate one hour films, but adding up to a single work.

[ 24.08.2005, 17:45: Message edited by: Diggedy Derek ]

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm dubious about the Godfather, too. One of the things I like most about the original (in contrast to its sequel) is how perfect the narrative arc is. Consequently I tend to watch 1 and 2 as completely separate films.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were from a single source, though.
Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fu**, let'im have 1&2, as long as he doesn't list Police academy 1 to 46.
Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
30's - Angels with Dirty Faces
40's - Citizen Kane
50's - On The Waterfront (despite how discredited Kazan became)
60's - Bonnie and Clyde
70's - Network
80's - Prince of the City
90's - Groundhog Day
00's - You Can Count On Me

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Potger's list. From Nazi propaganda to Mary Poppins to Bill & Ted in one go. Brilliant.
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dynamo Kev
Member # 1119

- posted      Profile for Dynamo Kev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
30s: Of Human Bondage
40s: Grapes of Wrath
50s: Ben Hur
60s: Lawrence of Arabia
70s: A Clockwork Orange
80s: Hannah and Her Sisters
90S: Rushmore
00s: Adaptation

Posts: 318 | From: the town of birds in the Garden State | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for steveeeeeeeee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
40: Brighton Rock
50: La Strada
60: Midnight Cowboy
70: Nuts In May (if this isn't a film, Star Wars takes its place)
80: The Breakfast Club
90: Goodfellas
00: Before Sunset

Posts: 4370 | From: Portas de Benfica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wot? No thirties? You're really missing out Steve.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony Curran's nomination of Angels With Dirty Faces (a film title I cannot say without lapsing into a parody of a Jimmy Dorsey accent) reminds me to finally buy the DVD of that film. the extras include a "Night At The Movies", with a newsreel, trailers, cartoon short etc as the cinema audience in 1936 (or whenever) would have experienced it.

There are a few other DVDs offering a similar feature, White Heat is one, and the other I saw is one of the early 30s gangster movies (Littled Caesar or something). I know the double DVD of the Flynn version of Robin Hood has A Night At The Movies feature, too. But I've not seen it at the shops here.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

That's a great idea.
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I change my 00 to In the mood for love
Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nil a fhios agam
Member # 1386

- posted      Profile for Nil a fhios agam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working my way through the classic films and great directors so I wanted to start a thread like this but I see it's already been done. My thoughts despite not seeing nearly as many as I should have

20s: Battleship Potemkin
30s: Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
40s: The Bicycle Thief(s)
50s: 12 Angry Men
60s: Au Hasard Balthasar
70s: Godfather
80s: Das Boot
90s: Schindler's List
00s: Pan's Labyrinth

Best decade: 1940s

Posts: 921 | From: Fair City | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desperately Seeking
Member # 347

- posted      Profile for Desperately Seeking     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1920s The Kid
1930s King Kong
1940s Casablanca
1950s Rear Window
1960s To Kill a Mockingbird
1970s Star Wars
1980s Platoon
1990s The Shawshank Redemption
2000s Infernal Affair

As i was doing this list i realised how great the 1940s were for films - films released in the decade include Citizen Kane, Its a Wonderful Life, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, The Third Man, Double Indemnity, The Maltese falcon - the list of greats goes on and on. The only other decade that i found comparable was the 1990s with the likes of Pulp Fiction, Das Boot, The Indiana Trilogy.

Posts: 74 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC