This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » I'm starting a Battlestar Galactica thread (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: I'm starting a Battlestar Galactica thread
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can if I want to, you can't stop me.

(and I'm starting it in film, because I bloody well think TV threads should go in film.)

er... yeah, so I like it a lot, and I'm slowly getting more fascinated by it. I'm one disc into Season 2, and I've been very impressed with the writing, if not always the acting or effects.

I barely remember the original (and my wife didn't even know there was an original), so watching this hasn't been the traumatic experience some fans claim to have had.

As mentioned elsewhere, I really enjoy watching the writers push the boundaries of how far they can push topics, and some of the episodes so far have been outstanding beyond the sci-fi level.

Clearly, Edward James Olmos is the heart of the show, in that he gives it its root and its base. Everything else can revolve or spin off of him, but he's owned the episodes so far. Even when he's not in it (spoiler - beginning of season 2), his impact on the rest of the actions is fairly well felt.

Sometimes I don't agree with the directions the show goes, but usually something pays off along the way to make it worth it.

(Much respect for the performances of the new Captain Adama & Starbuck, and maybe even more to the old Captain Adama for scene-chewing guest appearances.)

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watch every episode when it's aired. We're now into season three or four (I forget).

It's by far my favorite show on now and probably my favorite tv show ever. Unfortunately, it appears to be the only quality programming on the Sci-Fi Channel.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DirecTV has some HD channels that are very hit-and-miss, and rely on a lot of old repeats for programming, like TNT HD and Universal HD, where they show Battlestar Galactica. I know it's supposed to be great, but I haven't been able to get into it when I've watched it on Universal HD.

Part of the reason might be that James Edward Olmos' face in HD is scary...John Clayton in HD scary:

-

[ 30.01.2007, 21:40: Message edited by: Inca ]

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inca: if you can I'd say start watching at the beginning of Season 1 (not the miniseries). Watch 3 or 4 episodes and then go back and watch the miniseries. If you're not interested after the few first regular episodes, you won't be at all. (I think the quality of the season has left the miniseries in the dust)
Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, that's interesting. A colleague who's a Galactevangelist lent me the miniseries and, although it was good, it was just a pretty good extended disaster movie really - not the sort of thing I was expecting having read reviews of the series. If you say the series is noticeably better, that bodes well.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(and I'm starting it in film, because I bloody well think TV threads should go in film.)

Yeah. That's going on my tombstone. Can I get a HELL YEAH.

Haven't seen it, but it's on the power-packed SciFi Firday nights, with Doc Who as the lead-in. If for any reason, it's helped to lift DocWho to a pretty good rating in the US and higher dvd sales, which I'll always be grateful for. So there you go reed, one of two good shows on SciFi.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My assistant at work (who has sky) is video-taping each episode of series 3 and lending them to me on a weekly basis. Having watched series 1 & 2 from DVDs I now feel somewhat deprived.

Series 3 is weird but good... it's like they're saying f*ck you dumb americans

Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i saw a bit of this on one of the freeview channels. to be blunt, what's the point? when i watch Battlestar Galactica i expect to see little spaceships shooting out of tubes from big spaceships and using 'turbothrust' to annihilate other little spaceships by hitting them with their lasers after missing them twice and only twice. and highly burnished Cylons, of course. not a bird in a white twin-set striding across flaxen fields in a heavily stylised fantasy sequence. for ten minutes.

although context is everything, i suppose. that would have been great if it had happened in the original.

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some impressive plot-lines in the current series shown in the UK, with suicide-bombing issues, civil liberties issue and the likes. It is an absolutely transparent hammering of all that Bush stands for...Politically, this is the most hard-hitting US series I've seen in a long, long time.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really, really like it. It's easily the most morally nuanced sci-fi show I've seen, and the one of the few non-Sopranos shows that consistently leaves me floored at the end of an episode.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw some of this last night and the old Captain Apollo was in it. Standing for President of the Fleet. Except I couldn't tell if he was actually Apollo, or the same actor playing someone else. And anyway, as soon as he was elected, he made way for his V-P, the sort of schoolmarmy-yet-sexy fortysomething woman that the producers of every film that portrays a woman President assume it would have to be (it's never Anne Widdecombe or Mo Mowlam, is it?).

And there was some weird sub-plot about a bloke who was being haunted by a Cylon. Who was actually a ghost. The ghost of an incredibly sexy blonde in a red dress. But she was a Cylon. And he knew it. It was all very, very, strange. I don't think there was a single burst of laser fire in the entire episode, let alone humans being farmed by intelligent bees for honey.

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old Battlestar Galactica ride was my favorite part of the Universal Studios tour when I was a little kid, even if I did freak out the first time we went through, not knowing it was fake at first--though not as bad as on the train at Knott's Berry Farm, where actors playing robbers with very real looking guns jump on the train and say it's a hold up. I dove under the seat and told my mom to get down.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And there was some weird sub-plot about a bloke who was being haunted by a Cylon. Who was actually a ghost. The ghost of an incredibly sexy blonde in a red dress. But she was a Cylon. And he knew it. It was all very, very, strange.
That bloke is Baltar, formerly a leading scientist in the colonies. He continues to play a major role in the series and I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to let you know that that "sub plot" about him having a hottie in his head continues through the most recent episodes and probably well beyond. It's not entirely clear why she's in his head or how she got there, but she is.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It becomes clearer later on, although maybe it becomes less clear again in the third season.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

****possible spoiler****That's exactly what happens, I think, although the notion that she's the result of a chip implanted in his head, as opposed to the product of his own psychosis seems to be dispelled.

[ 01.02.2007, 17:14: Message edited by: Reed ]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC