This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » I'm starting a Battlestar Galactica thread (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: I'm starting a Battlestar Galactica thread
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may want to spoiler that.

*****SPOILER******It gets dispelled toward the end of the second season, I think******SPOILER ENDS******

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apinamies
Member # 1285

- posted      Profile for apinamies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(For what it's worth coming from a lurker, the Americans are clearly right on the most-suitable-subforum-for-TV-shows issue.)

*****SPOILER*****After Downloaded it doesn't seem it's Baltar's psychosis either.*****/SPOILER*****

The show has been better than ever this season, really brave and interesting. I don't know what they intend the love quadruple subplot (or rather the heavy emphasis on it) to bring into the show but perhaps they know what they are doing.

I tend to gush over the entire cast, not just Olmos. Especially Starbuck, Baltar and Roslin would be much less interesting in merely competent hands. I love Baltar, best villain ever.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
****************There seems to be a concerted effort not to let Starbuck steal the whole show. It seemed early on that she would feature prominently in almost every plot, but her significance has been downplayed somewhat as of late. Nevertheless, she's my favorite character, not only because she has a nice body but because her motivations are the hardest to figure out. We know she was abused as a child and that despite a penchant to fuck (sorry, "frack") in anger, she is also very religious in an odd sort of way, but it seems like there's a lot there that has yet to be explained.

Changing the gender of Starbuck and Boomer from what they were in the original show not only reflects an updated understanding of womens roles in a futurized version of the military, but it also opens up all sorts of story possibilities. I suppose a male Apollo could be in love with a male Starbuck, but then the whole show would probably be distracted by the "gay" issue. Perhaps more importantly, a male Boomer or a male Starbuck could not get pregnant (not plausibly, anyway) and that figures into plots as well.

[ 01.02.2007, 23:14: Message edited by: Reed ]

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There seems to be a concerted effort not to let Starbuck steal the whole show. It seemed early on that she would feature prominently in almost every plot, but her significance has been downplayed somewhat as of late.
*******MORE SPOILERS, SORRY***********
I think that's largely to do with the greater story arc. The bulk of the first season was spent on the run, with Cylon attacks or some other existential crisis every episode and the survivor total constantly declining. The second season is much more gently paced and more focused on interpersonal relationships, coping with life in space, the relative humanity of Cylons and humans and so on. She still features fairly prominently, but as one among many.***********SPOILER ENDS**************

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VTTBoscombe
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for VTTBoscombe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What "The Face" is a dame these days? No wonder he entered CBB, he had a lot of issues.
Posts: 1047 | From: La Côte du Rhin | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cover of this month's Playboy promised it was going to be special Battlestar Galactica issue, but I couldn't find any reference to the nuclear annihiliation of the twelve colonies anywhere. Just lots of pictures of the actress who plays Number Six, and she wasn't even in costume. Quite the opposite , in fact. Needless to say I didn't bother purchasing that.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Her name is Tricia Helfer, Rogin.

Scroll down on the left side to read about her interview on a certain American radio show.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apinamies
Member # 1285

- posted      Profile for apinamies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Woman King: What the frack was that? This season's Black Market, that's what. Sigh.
Posts: 32 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry, can i just clarify something, here? are there, or are there not, proper Cylons in this thing? like, big, chromey suits of armour that sound like metal mickey?

and if so, can people post a picture of one?

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://static.flickr.com/55/128908602_d055af0790.jpg
Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ah, right. couldn't find one on Google Images. thought the series had gone so post-modern, it had dispensed with proper Cylons altogether.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

The new Cylons! Oh no, hang on, that's not it, is it.

[ 12.02.2007, 22:19: Message edited by: Rogin the centicenturion ]

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

Having watched the first five episodes of season three over the weekend, I'm now in a position to say that BG is the best thing on telly at the moment. I was pretty gobsmacked by halfway through the second series, but they've kicked it up a notch again. Not only that but Baltar is the greatest TV character-as-plot-device ever, in that his motivations are so simple and his responses so predicable, and yet they drive the entire rich story. There's nothing quite like the watching-through-the-fingers sensation of Baltar once again betraying humanity to save his skin.

********************HUGE SPOILER******************
All that said, I'm not sure I buy the Starbuck/Casey plotline. Admittedly I'm not a parent, let alone a mother, but still I don't see that the mere assertion of biological parenthood, without the ordeal of pregnancy and childbirth and combined with her visceral hatred of Cylons, her captivity and her refusal to countenance shades of grey, would result in her bonding with the child to such an extent so quickly.
****************SPOILER ENDS********************

[ 12.03.2007, 16:44: Message edited by: Ginger Yellow ]

TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See, I'd never look in film for stuff about a telly programme. But then maybe now I'm looking in here more, I might stumble across it, like I have with this one.
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
********************HUGE SPOILER******************

I think her bonding with Casey is related to her own fucked up relationship with her mom which was explained in last week's episode. Perhaps you haven't got that far.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC