This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » I'm starting a Battlestar Galactica thread (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: I'm starting a Battlestar Galactica thread
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, that might explain it. Seems a bit odd to introduce that after the infant. Then again, good as BG is, it hardly lacks plot holes.

*****SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER******
I've just watched the "genocide" episode. While an awesome episode, it's somewhat depressing that a sci-fi show represents the most adult discussion of issues like this on American television.
*****SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER*************

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it's somewhat depressing that a sci-fi show represents the most adult discussion of issues like this on American television.
It's been that way since the original Star Trek had a black woman a Russian and a Japanese as command crew and had an episode with the first interracial kiss on telly.
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it was groundbreaking stuff, but Star Trek never really addressed those issues directly. The Uhura/Kirk kiss wasn't controversial in the world of Star Trek. The show just put the characters on screen and let them do their thing and be human beings (apart from Shatner, of course).

In BG almost every episode (at least from the second series on) deals with weighty moral issues, and not in the usual pat or sensationalist way that TV does. It doesn't give answers, but asks the right questions. Moreover I'd argue that in the current climate putting the last remnants of humanity in the role of suicide bombers and willing committers of genocide is far braver than anything Star Trek ever did. In fact it's arguably the bravest thing any mainstream drama has ever done. BG is constantly questioning what it means to be human, where rights come from, and what happens to human morality in extreme situations. It's truly remarkable for an advertising supported show.

[ 14.03.2007, 13:24: Message edited by: Ginger Yellow ]

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what good sci-fi is all about GY, nothing depressing about it...
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

It's not depressing that it addresses the issues intelligently. It's depressing that (almost) nothing else does. Not just drama, but factual/news programmes as well. The level of "debate" over issues such as torture or terrorism in the US media has been shockingly poor.
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with all of that, although not every episode recently has been quite so topical. Some of the more recent ones have been more about personal relationships and character development. I supposed that could fall under the broad rubric of "what it is to be human" but not in the same way as the genocide story, for example.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

Sure. One of the things I like about the show is that even though it does often address these huge issues, they usually arise out of the logic of the storyline, which could just as well throw up interpersonal issues. Even though on one level some of the episodes can be classified as "The one about genocide" or "The one about torture", it never seems like that at the time, because it feels natural that these issues would arise given the circumstances the protagonists find themselves in.

And of course the moral and the personal are thoroughly intertwined on the show, so the moral debates never become too abstract and the personal arguments have real import.

Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw the crossroads part II

*******Spoiler Alert**************************

I didn't really believe that Starbuck was dead after all, but what is even less believable is that the Colonel and the chief could be Cylons. The chief has a child and if that kid was half cylon, then everyone would be having visions like they do with Hera.

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem, bit of a cheeky request, but does anyone have DVD's of that, for borrowing purposes, like...?
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

I have sinister news for fans of The Pipettes. Gwenno is actually Number Six. Just go to www.thepipettes.co.uk and click on Media for proof.
Loose Cannon ?
Member # 642

- posted      Profile for Loose Cannon ?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why isn't this thread title in the past tense?
It seems to be in a permanent state of commencement.

Posts: 1904 | From: a grassy knoll | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyone's interested, you can pick up series 1 of Battlestar Galactica in HMV for 15.
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about series 3?????
Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

What about series 3?
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When can I buy that?
Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC