This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » Wes Anderson's new one (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Wes Anderson's new one
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Bottle Rocket is actually my favourite Anderson film (though Rushmore comes close). There's a real charm about Bottle Rocket, and it's also very funny.
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Bottle Rocket is different in terms of style, but not in terms of heart. Dignan is a dreamer like Max, but his dreams lead to a depressing end--he doesn't change, while Max does. He's a much more innocent character than Max, I think--very naive, which is another problem (the shot of the house during the botched robbery is heartbreaking).
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's like preferring the band's tinny demos!
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you know I didn't get on with Tenenbaums - see lengthy discussion on thread of many years ago - it seemed a rather empty film to me. My gf is adamant I should give it another go though ... she's probably right. I might just not have been in the right mood at the time of watching.

[ 04.01.2008, 22:02: Message edited by: Jimski ]

Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mafu
Member # 1663

- posted      Profile for mafu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
fair enough horse. i think that's quite a good analogy too.

though tenenbaums was the first of his i saw, and i loved it. ever since then, rushmore has grown on me steadily. i just think it has a bit more heart, if it's not as polished - the scenes with his dad are as sweet as anything else he's done.

Posts: 255 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe The Horse has let me down on this one.

Darjeeling's got an emotional depth I find missing from Tenenbaums (despite its events being more affecting in theory).

No time to string a decent defence together right now, so I'm going to have to make parallels with Captain Beefheart albums instead. Rushmore was Safe As Milk; Tenenbaums was Clear Spot; A Life Aquatic was Lick My Decals Off; and The Darjeeling Limited is the spectacular Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller).

(I've not seen Bottle Rocket. It was probably the Mirror Man Sessions. That's no diss, by the way.)

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd enjoy reading that defence, Not. I wanted to like it.

Do you live in the cinema at the moment, or what?

Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd enjoy reading that defence, Not.
Of all the people I'd expect to stoop to that...
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

Nobody else seen this, then?
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it on a plane. I thought it was entertaining enough, and harmless, and less frustrating than A Life Aquatic; but too much of it was telegraphed and as said elsewhere, once they got off the train it completely lost its focus. Nice enough acting, nice enough directing, but the film itself just seemed to lack direction.
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm naturally drawn to movies on trains, and I liked what he did with them, but my enthusiasm begins and ends there. It felt like a film that was looking for an ending before it had really started. Was it going to end on the reprise of Bill Murray on the train? No. Was it going to end at the airport? Wrong again. At the convent? I give up! The kibbitzing between the three principals palled about halfway through to enjoyable they may be but the Marx Brothers they ain't after that there was nothing much to do but stare at the scenery.

[ 24.03.2008, 00:03: Message edited by: Amor de Cosmos ]

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great review Horse. Missed it last year.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was indeed a good review, Horse. Wish I'd read it before I went to see the film.

I think part of the problem with this movie for me is that ever since I Heart Huckabees, I've wanted to punch Jason Schwartzman. Hard. Repeatedly. He's become the indie Kevin Costner, complete with the montone and the nanometre-thick emotional range. Now, admittedly, this is also true of Owen Wilson, but his characters are written with a certain emotional warmth; Schwartzman - possibly because of his limited range as an actor - gets characters who are dead inside.

I`m not sure if he thinks he's acting or not. I have a sneaking suspicion he thinks he's the next Bill Murray (in much the same way that Christian Slater clearly used to think he was the next Jack Nicholson). But the thing is, even when Bill Murray is playing someone who is emotionally dead (see Dead Flowers), he can show more range with his eybrows than Schwartzman can with his entire body.

[ 24.03.2008, 01:39: Message edited by: Antonio Gramsci ]

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it a while back on watch-movies.net, that was my first Wes Anderson movie. It looked like a good movie to catch on the big screen though, it's pretty colorful and scenic, a bit of a moving postcard, but ultimately a bit shallow. The shallowness doesn't detract too much from it though as its other good feature is its levity.

A couple of disappointments from the movie: first I expected better from Roman Coppola, whose first feature, "CQ", was quite good. And the soundtrack could have been a little better, so much great material to work with there, from Ananda Shankar to The Orient Express (a great album download, if only for song #10, "Little Star".

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

quote:
I expected better from Roman Coppola
Ouch!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC