This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » Where's the Superbad thread?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where's the Superbad thread?
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it, but I would have expected either Reed or Matej (or both) to be all over this. The critics love it, just like they loved Knocked Up, and from what I hear, McLovin is already in the comedy characters hall of fame.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably seeing it today. (My brother has seen it twice and gave it a glowing review.)
Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, now that I've seen it, I can say with confidence that it is damn funny. Very crude, borderline obnoxious, but damn funny.

As an overall movie, it is just 'pretty good', and reminds me a lot of the 80s high school flicks starring Cusack, et al. Except the kids curse. A lot.

Michael Cera is great in it. As is the kid who plays McLovin.

Seth Rogen definitely has the same sort of writing talent that Apatow has in that he can write very 'real' but very funny films.

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realise that this was the film but the trailer was shown before the Simpsons film and I have to say, in the context of having my 7 year old son with me, I was quite shocked by the content (of the trailer, at least)

What rating is the film?

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobW
Member # 1522

- posted      Profile for RobW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a 15 certificate according to IMDB. Not only that, but it has a rating of 8.5/10, and is No. 110 on the IMDB top 250 (for what it's worth)
Posts: 1196 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one quote that I've heard that hasn't been in a commercial is "I fucking suck dick at eating pussy."
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
what's his name, the number 10....
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for what's his name, the number 10....     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like it I have to say. Haven't seen knocked up but loved it.
Posts: 4145 | From: acts of manual sexual altruism | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got around to seeing this.

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit it, because it is little more than collection of dick jokes, that I found Superbad to be among the funniest things I've ever seen. It drags a bit in the end, but there were multiple sections of the movie where I was laughing so hard I thought I was going to vomit. Really. Like the convulsive force was so great that I thought it would cause my stomach to contract suddenly.

The DVD version, if not the theater version, is really filthy, but that's part of what makes it funny. As said upthread, what makes Apatow and, apparently Seth Rogen, good is that they have such a keen ear and memory for what youth was really like and how we really talked and related at that age. The characters are far more real and sympathetic than anything in American Pie or most 1980s teenage sex films. And there's actually very little actual sexuality in the film. It's just what the characters talk about.

I don't think kids should see this. Not because they'll learn filthy words. Kids, despite all the efforts to stop it, already know lots of filthy words and images - indeed that's sort of what the film is about. It's just that I don't think you can appreciate such a brutal look at high school life until you're old enough to look back at that time with some nostalgia.

The DVD extras are worth a look. It shows how this Apatow "troupe" works. They just keep improving the same lines over and over until they get the funniest one. Sometimes they can't use the funniest one, apparently, because it's too long or somebody cracks up or whatever. The bit in home-ec class is funnier in the version where the teacher explains how she's getting fucked in the ass (metaphorically) by the principal.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Payne.
Member # 1428

- posted      Profile for Max Payne.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dazed and Confused is WAYYYYYYYY better.
Posts: 958 | From: Exeter, NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really relate to Dazed & Confused. The 1970's were a lot different than my high school years.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't seen Superbad yet, but Dazed and Confused is an awfully high standard Max, it's way better than just about any other movie about young people hanging out.
Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally saw Superbad tonight. I loved the cops.
Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

Like a lot of others, I thought the cops dragged the film down a bit, but when McLovin says "brace yo'self fool!" and shoots at the car, it was all worth it.

Probably the hardest I've laughed in a movie since the first half of The 40-Year Old Virgin. Rogen and his bud have obviously studied the Judd Apatow model of profane humor on top of a sweet heart. The last scene was genuinely touching, I thought.

And I don't get Max's idea that it fails to live up to Dazed and Confused. Yes, they're both high school movies, but they take completely different approaches--Dazed is a true ensemble film, whereas Superbad is about a friendship between two guys. Sure, there's the Wiley Wiggins character and his maturation over one night, but it's about a lot more people also.

mafu
Member # 1663

- posted      Profile for mafu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i thought it was ok, but not great. the mclovin character reminded me a lot of garth from waynes world.
Posts: 255 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noj
Member # 753

- posted      Profile for noj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good I thought, although it did drag on a little. The bit near the start where he's talking about his childhood drawing dicks was hilarious.
Posts: 2740 | From: crisp country | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC