This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » An American sitcom worth watching...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An American sitcom worth watching...
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"How I Met Your Mother"

I'd read it was pretty good, but even with its weaknesses (somewhat lame lead actor, indiffent lead 'romantic' interest, standard sitcom style direction) it is actually damn funny.

Obviously, some of the great things it has going for it are great comedy roles for Jason Segel (of Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared, etc) and Alyson Hannigan. Probably what pushes the show over the top is a really fantastic role for Neil Patrick Harris who walks a fine line between absolute ridiculous parody and immortal comedy genius.

I also appreciate that it allows itself to go complete down the ridiculous path and doesn't (usually) get overly sappy. Because of the basic concept, it also allows them to mess with continuity and storytelling (similar to Grounded for Live, but not so stale).

At any rate, well done for the first 2/3rds of season 1. Hopefully it lasts.

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I enjoyed it.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not seen that.

One I do enjoy at the moment is 30 Rock. Some smart dialogue. There is an episode where Alec Baldwin, playing a very vain and arrogant TV network executive, pulls the ugliest skank ever to appear on TV. It is one of the funniest sequences I've seen on a US sitcom.

I also rather enjoy The War At Home, a family sitcom that clearly draws its inspirarion from Married With Children.

[ 17.09.2007, 14:20: Message edited by: G-Man ]

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Annoyingly, 30 Rock has yet to make it to the UK. You'd expect C4 to buy it, but maybe they don't want both that and Studio 60. The clips I've seen look great.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't watch it--for some reason, I never watch any CBS shows aside from 60 Minutes. I would give it a chance, but Mrs. Inca would give me crap about only watching it for Alyson Hannigan, and she'd be right.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
what's his name, the number 10....
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for what's his name, the number 10....     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I lived in San Francisco every day when I came home from work at 10.00 to get stoned there was the greatest tv line-up there has ever been. The Simpsons, then 2 episodes of third rock, then 2 episodes of the dating game (Greg drops the ball in 4, 3, 2) and 2 episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Big bag of weed, chinese food on tap, Miller by the case-full, what a time.

I think I put on a stone that summer.

Posts: 4145 | From: acts of manual sexual altruism | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

Actually 30 Rock is on Five here next month.
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Won the Best Comedy Series Emmy a couple of days ago. Not undeservedly either.
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coffy
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Coffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really wish I'd seen the much-discussed Robyn Sparkles episode of How I Met Your Mother, because the video is a riot. Oh, wait, it's from season 2.
Posts: 3014 | From: where the action is | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to watch it and thought it was ok. I may pick it up again with the new season. It has it's moments, but it isn't that great. I'm surprised it got an Emmy.

The main protagonist is really annoying and I want to smack him for being such a self-satisfied goober. The Doogie Howser guy is sometimes funny, but his schtick is a bit cliched. The guy who plays Allyson Hannigan's sometime fiance is the best. He was also excellent on the criminally underappreciated, shortlived Fox show by Judd Apatow, Undeclared.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

30 Rock won an Emmy, not How I Met Your Mother.
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC