This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » There Will Be Blood - New PTA (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: There Will Be Blood - New PTA
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
x

[ 16.12.2007, 00:41: Message edited by: jason voorhees ]

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
daptation of Oil!, some book about Oil.)
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's by Upton Sinclair, author of The Jungle, and it's set in Signal Hill, near Long Beach.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...looks like Anderson shot in Texas and New Mexico, so not set in Southern California. Though a movie set in early-20th Century Southern California could be really interesting, seeing something other than Los Angeles, but I guess not this time.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

Was he paid, or was he scavenging? If it was the latter, surprised he could get that--most orchard owners would rather have burned their crops than to let someone take it for free.
Inca
Member # 675

Didn't know there were still orchards in Beverly Hills around in the 1930s.
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hotel was built in the 20s, wasn't it? So where a number of the larger houses, IIRC.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

Yes. I think the flatlands were built before the hilly areas north of Sunset, so that must be it.
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1924, apparently. I think that is the hotel in the foreground just left of center.

-

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

So...this sounds good then. David Denby in the New Yorker:

quote:
Early in “There Will Be Blood,” an enthralling and powerfully eccentric American epic (opening on December 26th), Daniel Plainview climbs down a ladder at his small silver mine. A rung breaks, and Daniel (Daniel Day-Lewis) falls to the base of the shaft and smashes his leg. He’s filthy, miserable, gasping for breath and life. The year is 1898. Two and a half hours later (and more than thirty years later in the time span of the film), he’s on the floor again, this time sitting on a polished bowling lane in the basement of an enormous mansion that he has built on the Pacific Coast. Having abandoned silver mining for oil, Daniel has become one of the wealthiest tycoons in Southern California. Yet he’s still filthy, with dirty hands and a face that glistens from too much oil raining down on him—it looks as if oil were seeping from his pores. The experience chronicled between these two moments is as astounding in its emotional force and as haunting and mysterious as anything seen in American movies in recent years. I’m not quite sure how it happened, but after making “Magnolia” (1999) and “Punch-Drunk Love” (2002)—skillful but whimsical movies, with many whims that went nowhere—the young writer-director Paul Thomas Anderson has now done work that bears comparison to the greatest achievements of Griffith and Ford.

Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I've stated oh... all the time on OTFilm, I really don't rate PTA much, but he is admittedly a very talented director. I've disliked him because I've found most of his movies stupid, featuring stupid people, doing stupid things. Yet somehow, he always gets great performances from his actors.

So a very talented director who I find vapid, lacking depth, and with nothing particularly to say, adapts a book by Upton Sinclair, who clearly (whatever one thinks of the his books themselves) certainly didn't lack for depth or something to say.

It might work.

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, can't wait for this one. I've heard that the ending deserves to be considered among the greats in movie history.
Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

In his review, Denby said the one thing he didn't like was the ending.
Stumpy Pepys
Member # 511

- posted      Profile for Stumpy Pepys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Punch Drunk Love – the best thing Adam Sandler's ever done.

I can't say the same about Magnolia, although there were little flashes of brilliance.

Posts: 6400 | From: Old München Town | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the trailer for this last night, having heard nothing about it and missed this thread, and nearly fell on the floor (not easy in a flip-up seat) when the legend A NEW FILM BY PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON came up. Oh, Lordy. Magnolia is my number one film of all time, and Punch-Drunk Love was even better.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to check this out tomorrow. Very, very excited.
Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC