This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » There Will Be Blood - New PTA (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: There Will Be Blood - New PTA
Mitch
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Mitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I couldn't even tell if the final scene was being played for comedy or not, but it was laughable.
Yeah, in the screening I went to, the audience all seemed to find the ending really funny.

It wasn't until a couple of days later that I realised that it possibly wasn't intentional. I can see how he deserves his Oscar, but err.. I was thinking "Day-Lewis does Brian Blessed" whilst I was watching it...

Posts: 1949 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The soundtrack's by Johnny Greenwod, of Radiohead fame, and there were a gaggle of Radiohead fans sat behind me in the cinema last night who lasted all of an hour before walking out. The best piece of music, though, is an Arvo Part piece.

**spoilers**

I thought the film was good with a couple of great scenes. The five minutes or so which had an intense rythmic soundtrack and started with the oil bursting then concluded with HW going deaf and Plainview staring in awe as he realised how much money was going to make was fantastic.

Plainview's baptism and the mirror scene at the end were wonderful too. I have to say I found some of it quite funny, in the same way I found some of No Country for Old Men.

**spoilers off**

It reminds me a little of A History of Violence in that it's a good film that says something we all know really, and perhaps says a little less than some critics seem to think.

I wasn't too sure about the soundtrack either. There's a unique, unsettling kind of claustrophobia about wide open spaces- one that Morricone's soundtracks made the most of. This soundtrack was lovely musically, but didn't seem to quite fit the landscape for me. It sounded too European for me, too- when this was otherwise A Very American Movie.

Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The soundtrack's by Johnny Greenwod, of Radiohead fame, and there were a gaggle of Radiohead fans sat behind me in the cinema last night who lasted all of an hour before walking out.

Excellent. The pre-publicity and various articles on the movie made it clear that Greenwood was going to take a dissonant, atonal and unconventional approach to the score. It's confounding that anyone would come in and expect Radiohead songs. The pricks.

Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was hilarious. They were all going on about the Bodysong soundtrack (which does sound like Radiohead) during the adverts, and how this would be even better cos 'Bodysong was a really boring film'.
Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They waste their money, more fool them. On a matter of Greenwood's score, I can't really discuss how European the music sounded (when it comes to orchestral music modern and classical, I'm more the 'I know what I like' person, which may not sound sophisticated, but, hey, so sue me) or whether it was supposed to complement the strongly American theme of the story, but I was intigued by it and I'm all for an entirely different approach (musically) to cinematic story-telling. Personally, I would've shuddered if I had to sit through John Williams's take on it, for example, and listen to his 'this is important, gimme an Oscar' pomposity.

Greenwood's music wasn't an entirely friendly proposition, but it suited - my opinion - the weird, conflicting and frightening character of Plainview himself and was probably intended to reflect the turbulent bastard in music form. Weird and unsettling, yes, but it could have been by-the-numbers and followed an emotionally Mickey-Mousing line of direction. That it didn't was appreciable. Besides, it's more driving, propellant moments were really compelling.

That you mentioned Morricone is interesting as some reviewers sensed an influence of the man himself in there - not to mention Jerry Goldsmith's Planet Of The Apes, which is weird listening (and brilliant with it) in itself.

Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC