This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » No Country for Old Men (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: No Country for Old Men
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back from watching this - completely in agreement with all plaudits put forward on this thread. A superb piece of work, I've never been as tense for such long periods as I was watching this. As Drebin suggests, the dialogue between the Bardem character and the petrol store guy is a little masterpiece on its own.

Wonderful, compelling performances from the three leads and equally so from Woody Harrelson and Kelly McDonald in their relatively short time on screen.

***************spoilers************************

I deliberated a lot on the ending. I guess - without wishing to come over all cod philosophical - that in essence it was telling us that poetic justice (which would have been well served by the death of Bardem in the road accident) is just too fanciful a concept for these harsh times. I don't believe it was deliberately quirky in an obtuse way, but just a reminder that life doesn't run in easy linear patterns and that karma is a tenuous and unreliable concept.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this on Friday and it was wonderful. Violent, but wonderful. I'm not even disappointed by the ending.

**spoiler stuff**

I was expecting an abeupt ending (although perhaps I would have been happier if we'd just finished with Bardem walking away from the crash than with the fairly random discussion at the end), so it didn't bother me.

It had that Coen Brothers thing of being very violent and dark and full of suspense, and really quite funny at the same time. I had the same experience watching The Man Who Wasn't There, when people in the audience didn't really dare laugh because it was sufficiently black and played sufficiently straight and there was chance that other people would think you were a sick bastard to be laughing at the pool of blood pushing forwards, say.

Anyway, all the actors were great, the direction was great, and even the plot and storyline were, too - all the vagueness just added to it.

Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mitch
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Mitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the cinema last night to watch it again, and it was even better the second time round (and I was completely wrong about the ending).

Strangely, it seemed much more of a comedy as well. But, like the previous post says, that may be because I was watching it with a roomful of people laughing at the jokes this time.

Posts: 1949 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mafu
Member # 1663

- posted      Profile for mafu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just saw this, thought it was very good.

my view on a couple of points raised in the thread

**SPOILERS**

it seemed fairly clear to me that moss was killed in el paso, you could see the moustache and he was wearing the new shirt he'd just bought in the clothes store

as for what happened to the llewellyns wife - i was fairly sure she got killed too, hence him checking the soles of his boots (for blood?) as he left the house. and considering what we knew about him by then, that would seem quite a plausible thing for him to do

the ending surprised me a bit, but it didnt piss me off.

Posts: 255 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chopped Up Man
Member # 353

- posted      Profile for Chopped Up Man         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic, perfectly cast, can't wait to see it again.

*** SPOILERS FOR FILM AND BOOK ***

Reed, your critiscms pretty much apply to the book, this was such a faithful adaptation that I actually had deja vu during a few scenes. Llewellyn's death was also described after the fact in a "What happened there?" way, which can be easily rewound when reading but not in the cinema.

One difference is that Chigurh doesn't shoot the CEO character in the book, instead he's a completely amoral professional explaining what needs to be done and why he's the man to do it. The drug dealers are just incompetent which leads to this whole thing. The Coen Brothers depict him as a force of unexplainable evil whereas Cormac McCarthy seems to regard him as a force of inevitable evil.

I must admit I had trouble with the Texan accents and drifted off during Tommy Lee Jones's final speech, and there is a hell of a lot of tedious guff that's been cut, but that made me reread the book's ending, with the dream of the father carrying the fire, and it made a lot more sense as a companion to The Road. I'd love to see the Coens tackle that.

Posts: 756 | From: Semi-Essex | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just seen this. It's unimpeachably perfect, I think. A landmark.

I even loved the ending, but then I am a pretentious asshole, so, y'know...

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willie1Foot
Member # 18

- posted      Profile for Willie1Foot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me and Mrs 1F intend to go see this on Saturday. Can't wait.
Posts: 3221 | From: the shores of Botany Bay | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Dynamite
Member # 1449

- posted      Profile for Kid Dynamite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good crime novel (with added dreary folksy Texan wisdom) becomes a good crime film (with added dreary folksy Texan wisdom).

Good performances, excellent cinematography, but it could have done with being trimmed by about 10 minutes (and by one pointlessly wacky haircut).

I liked the abrupt ending to the main plotline (which is handled in a similar way in the book), although they cut out the entire relationship between Moss and the girl at the motel which would have been much more interesting than Tommy Lee Jones being interminably craggy and laconic.

Posts: 226 | From: The Triple Rock Social Club | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As documented here ad nauseam, I've hated every Coen brothers film I've seen so far because I thought they were smug and mannered (especially Hudsucker Proxy, Intolerable Cruelty, The Man Who Wasn't There and O Brother Where Art Thou; I wasn't crazy about Fargo or The Big Lebowski either). Should I give this one a whirl or is it just a good Coen brothers movie?

[ 24.01.2008, 13:40: Message edited by: The Horse ]

Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's as far removed from shite like The Hudsucker Proxy as it is possible to get. Certain parts of it are genuinely scary.

I don't have much time for the Coen brothers either but this one blew my socks off.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Dynamite
Member # 1449

- posted      Profile for Kid Dynamite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The daft haircut belongs in The Big Lebowski, but otherwise there's a shortage of irritating smugness. It's far closer in tone to Blood Simple than any of their recent films.
Posts: 226 | From: The Triple Rock Social Club | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, triffic.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heston Bee
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for Heston Bee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the ending too, but the parallels between Toro's admittings and mine end there. I'm surprised at some of the earlier comments because, unless as earlier identified, there's more than 1 version of the film I thought most was clear. I don't know, maybe it helps having seen some of the other Coens' films, to know what to look out for?

****************SPOILERS AHOY!*****************

Agreed with Mafu on the demise of both Moss and Mrs Moss. For the former, the body was clearly Llewllyn in the hotel, but the unspoken exchange between his wife and Tommy Lee Jones when she arrives at the hotel is confirmation of his death. For the latter, Chigurh states his intention to her, and though it's implied, his checking for blood on his boots on leaving the house is the giveaway.

The unexplainedness of some of the characters is, to me, deliberate. It ties in with Chigurh's ramblings on how the coin and he both came to be in the same place, I think he mentions this on more than 1 occassion. The point being, that events and actions happen in our lives and we don't understand/know their origins or why they're coming to us - what's important to the individual is that they're happening, to this end the origin of the events isn't important.

*******************END SPOILERS*******************

There's so much in this film that it hurts my head to even begin thinking about it properly.

Posts: 1493 | From: Loondoon | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The point being, that events and actions happen in our lives and we don't understand/know their origins or why they're coming to us - what's important to the individual is that they're happening, to this end the origin of the events isn't important.

Yes, I'd agree with that, and it it explains why we're never ready, nor can be ready, for them.

It was implied that Llewllyn's wife had been killed. I guess I would have liked confirmation because, unlike everyone else, she refused to play Chigurh's game. It's what I would've done so, in a sense, I was rooting for my position through her. If I'm going to die I suppose I wanted to be absolutely sure of my own death.

I read an interesting review the other day which pointed out that Chigurh is relentlessly logical, and by inference, the film leaves
open the question about how one deals with logical evil. I'm not absolutely sure I agree with the premise, but I'll have to see the movie again to figure out why.

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willie1Foot
Member # 18

- posted      Profile for Willie1Foot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a fantastic film. One of the best. As previously mentioned, it was very true to the book.

***Possible Spoiler***
Regarding the exchange between Chigurh and Moss' wife at the end, I think she was killed by him, given the evidence previously discussed. Her refusal to call the coin toss was a 'moral' victory for her over Chigurh.

Posts: 3221 | From: the shores of Botany Bay | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC