This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » No Country for Old Men (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: No Country for Old Men
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was a little taken aback when I heard Kelly MacDonald was in it. I suppose she'll always be 'Diane' in Trainspotting to me, but she was absolutely magnificent.
She was very good indeed, but I thought the film succumbed a little to the trap of making fairly simple southern trailer wives too good looking. See also: Junebug.
Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sat through most of the film going: "I'm sure I recognise her. It looks like Kelly MacDonald, but it can't be."
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobW
Member # 1522

- posted      Profile for RobW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anton Chigurh scares me more than any other character on tv or film. His look, his method of killing and that voice spooks me more than the character of Bob in Twin Peaks.
Posts: 1196 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chigurh is brilliant indeed. Everyone bangs on about how he's a completely cold killer and someone you can't remotely identify with. Now maybe it's because I'm a bit of an arsehole, but part of me would love to treat fools with his intolerance. The way he rips into the guy at the petrol station is brilliant. I'm aware he's bullied the poor bloke into his stupidity in the first place, which isn't something I'd ever like to do- but when I encounter someone completely braindead I'd love to treat them as Chigurh does.

I don't know who's heard Godspeed You Black Emperor!'s debut album, but Chigurh's voice reminds me of the bloke at the start of that album: "the car's on fire...".

Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Completely braindead'?!

The poor bloke was scared stiff. How rational are any of us under those circumstances?

You are one mean hombre, FH.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

quote:
I'm aware he's bullied the poor bloke into his stupidity in the first place, which isn't something I'd ever like to do

Venga
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Venga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is the petrol station guy "braindead"? He only tries to be civil to Bardem's character. You must encounter a lot of "braindead" people in your daily life, then. Exacting standards.
Posts: 295 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

I'll make this clearer:

1/ I know the guy at the petrol station isn't braindead, and there's no justification for Chigur's treatment of him. His stupidity is only as a result of being absolutely terrified and I would probably act in exactly the same way.

2/ I have a very low internal tolerance level for fools. When I meet someone who is genuinely stupid in life, I am very polite and civil- but internally I often wish I could treat them with the sarcastic disdain Chigur shows to the petrol station guy. These people are genuinely people I end up sitting next to at Molineux.

Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo, I bet Steve Bull'd've loved a set-up like that...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. It kind of reminded me of the little known The Way of the Gun, with Benicio del Toro, Ryan Phillipe, Juliette Lewis & James Caan.

******************spoilers********************

So many characters are unexplained. Who is Woody Harleson supposed to be? Who is his boss? Drug dealers maybe? It's not clear. Who were those guys that the main bad-guy (Chiguhr?) kills at the main crime scene? What happens to Llewellyn? It sort of implies that he gets whacked, but then implies that he's still alive somewhere with the money. The preponderance of evidence suggests the latter possibility, but it's not clear. And who was that guy Ellis with all the cats played by the guy from Northern Exposure? Is he the Sherrif's uncle? The former Sherrif? It's not clear. It's not clear why the Sherrif went out there to talk to him? Who is Chiguhr, exactly? Who were those other guys that he killed in the hotel - clearly they were after the money too and were involved in the drugs business because they had uzis? Come to think of it, the whole Hotel business was confused. Lewellyn has both rooms back to back. He puts the money in the vent in room 38 and then extracts it from 138, right? Well then what room was it that Chiguhr enters and finds empty? What room had those three guys that he wastes? Very confusing. I guess I'll have to get the DVD.

And what happened to the drugs?

Woody Harrelson was another killer (like Chugirh), but one a bit more reasonable, maybe just as cold, but less blatant.
The boss seemed to be some guy who set up the drug deal with the mexicans.

The bit I didn't quite get was how the mexicans found Llewelyn's room in the Royale Motel.

Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they had a tracking device.
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assumed only Chigurh had a tracking device. Why would the Mexicans have one?
Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
******* kind of spoiler alert ********
today's active topics blah blah **

the dude in the office - woody harrelson's boss - gave one to the mexicans. that's why chigurh bursts into his office and shoots him in the neck. he turns to the other guy who's standing there gibbering and says "he gave [the mexicans] a receiver. that's foolish. you pick the one right tool."

[ 18.02.2008, 18:46: Message edited by: garcia en dolor ]

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He says "he sent [Woody Harrelson]. That's foolish...", didn't he?
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anybody see 'Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada' the other night?

Some real similarities with this, I thought, in terms of a portrayal of the modern western.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC