This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » Juno (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Juno
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why isn't inca all over this?

It's very good. Makes a nice trio of movies with Knocked Up and Waitress.

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Felt
Member # 1061

- posted      Profile for Mark Felt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's much better than very good. I loved it. A very funny but slightly self-conscious script is carried off perfectly by the cast, who uniformly excellent from the leads down to the smallest of bit parts. I really like Ellen Page, though there is quite a lot here in common with her character in Hard Candy; Michael Cera is wonderful in every scene he is in. Reitman's direction is interesting, and I especially loved the way he framed his intimate shots - the camera focussing in close up on unusual parts of the body. And the soundtrack is awesome. Look for it at the oscars, though unlikely really to pick up more than a win for best screenplay.
Posts: 783 | From: The Shadows of a Dublin Parking Garage | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Page may get an Oscar nomination out of it. You know, Hollywood's way of annointing the Next Big Thing (which she probably is).

Or at least that's what our press is saying - local boosterism and all that since it's pratically a Canadian film - Page, Cera, Reitman and it's all shot in Maple Ridge.

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why isn't inca all over this?
 -
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's obviously having difficulty getting the food into the child's mouth.
Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's like trying to stuff toothpaste back into a moving tube of toothpaste sometimes.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this with IMP last night. Fantastic. Every part is perfectly cast and written. The pacing is dead on. Every seen is exactly as long as it should be and doesn't belabor or oversentimentalize anything. I didn't see the plot going the way it does, which is rare for a comedy.

It's also one of the few film portrayals of high school that bears any resemblance to what high school in an American public school is actually like.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heathers?
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heathers is a classic, but it's a charicature of high school life.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coffy
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Coffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the most realistic are All the Right Moves and Dazed and Confused.
Posts: 3014 | From: where the action is | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm generally useless with films, but think that Freaks and Geeks was by far the most realistic television show in this respect.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

Yep. Freaks and Geeks, though it was set about 15 years before I started high school, is the closest thing I've seen to matching what school was like for me.

I loved Dazed and Confused, but that wasn't what high school was like at all for me. Maybe that's just my fault though--I didn't drink, I didn't smoke pot, and I really didn't go to parties at all.

Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree with Freaks and Geeks being the closest for me. Juno a close second though.

My brother claims Superbad was the closest to his experience, which I didn't see at all. Whether that says more about him or about me, I'm not sure.

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coffy
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Coffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll fourth Freaks and Geeks if we're including TV. Never watched My So-Called Life--how realistic did that seem?
Posts: 3014 | From: where the action is | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

Superbad was fairly realistic, except all the hijinks with the local police, etc. That was funny slapstick, but not really typical of real life. Also, it's highly unlikely that the Seth character could have a remote chance of pulling that girl that he almost pulls.

Freaks & Geeks appears to be realistic, but that's TV. My female friends tell me that My So-Called Life was fairly realistic, but I can't be sure since it's entirely from a girl's perspective. Also, MSCL had an openly gay character. We didn't have any openly gay kids at my school.

Dazed & Confused is nothing like my experience so I can't vouch. Like Inca, I didn't drink, smoke pot or go to parties. Also, my understanding is that pot was much more prevalent in schools in the 1970s than the late 80s/early 90s, so it was a totally different dynamic.

All The Right Moves is not really about high school so much as it is about depressed steel towns in western Pennsylvania circa 1980. In that respect it's very believable except that Tom Cruise is too small to have had much of a realistic chances play fullback in Division I.

Juno is somewhat divergent from real life because in the film Jason Bateman said he danced to "All the Young Dudes" by Mott the Hoople at his prom in 1988. That's unlikely, unless his prom had a particularly good DJ (which is also unlikely).

[ 15.01.2008, 17:21: Message edited by: Reed ]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC