This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » Juno (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Juno
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was stunned to see this has been nominated for the best picture oscar. knocked up was more deserving. juno was blandly "offbeat" indie pap, the movie equivalent of the grim singer-songwriter tunes that cluttered up the soundtrack.

ellen page is good though.

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree. I got bored during Knocked Up - had to watch it in 3 or 4 sittings, whereas Juno had me transfixed all the way through.
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched this a couple of nights ago, and just about made it to the end. A 16-year-old would not say half the things that the main character does.

Shite, basically.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So wrong.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A 16-year-old would not say half the things that the main character does.
There was a "The Hater" column in the AV section Onion's newspaper edition that I couldn't find online that made this exact point.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't agree. When I was sixteen, we were all sarcastic and deadpan and always trying to be clever.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the movie, so I really can't comment, but the example she used was the line "Yeah, if I could just have the thing and give it to you now, I totally would. But I'm guessing it looks probably like a sea monkey right now and we should let it get a little cuter."

I agree with you that when I was that age, I was sarcastic and deadpan, but nothing I ever said would have been funny or smart enough to be in a movie. Maybe it's just me.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

Perhaps, but what would be the point of going to a movie if it's exactly like real life?

There has to be some suspension of disbelief. In real life not everyone's wry comments are winners. In real life, the New York City district attorney's office probably does not have a position titled Hottie ADA. In real life, people don't break out into well-correographed song and dance numbers. In real life, nobody has super powers.

etc.

Inca
Member # 675

True. I think she may have been part of the backlash to the movie. I haven't even seen it, and I'm already kind of sick of it.
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally saw this tonight and loved it. That is exactly the kind of humor I enjoy, and the Juno character reminded me so much of one of my best friends (and why she was my friend)--her quirks, her vocabulary, her intelligence and even the maturity she shows in knowing that she isn't mature. And her looks, to some degree.

And sixteen year olds in the US would indeed say those things. I thought it was very realistic.

Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inca, get a babysitter and take your wife to see this. I think you'll enjoy it.
Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the grim singer-songwriter tunes that cluttered up the soundtrack

This part I agree with Garcia. For a film about someone whose fave bands are Stooges/Runaways/Patti Smith in a 3-way tie to be accompanied by acoustic noodling and 'quirky' lyrics...I upset the group I was with by exclaiming my disgust at various points.

But I disagreed with Garcia overall-liked the film, laughed at the smart lines, appreciated the acting. And, ahem, Ms Page

Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was very shocked to see Cut Chemist formerly of Jurassic 5 had a very small speaking role in it.

I loved the movie, er that's it.

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Payne.
Member # 1428

- posted      Profile for Max Payne.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This wasn't bad. The soundtrack was very wishy washy and it had a few irritating touches like that dollop of crap Little Miss Sunshine. But it was watcheable enough.

The kid's father reminded me of Napoleon Dynamite though. Does every teenager either have to be a Jock or Napoleon Dynamite these days?

Posts: 958 | From: Exeter, NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of movies about American HS life, I just saw Rocket Science. Good flick, focused on debate teams. It's part of a wide recent current that kind of glorifies socially inept and geeky teenagers (Napoleon Dynamite, Little Miss Sunshine -the older brother with speech issues-)
Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC