This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » Juno (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Juno
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a rather broad brush.

Napoleon Dynamite was an OTT catoony character.

The kid in Juno was much more realistic and not nearly as much of a total outcast freak. I knew guys in school who ran cross country who were like him - super skinny and a bit awkward in their own body. But he wasn't a delusional weirdo that went on about ligers and becoming a cage fighter.

The kid in Little Miss Sunshine wasn't just "socially awkward." He was downright disturbed.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reed, I wasn't referring to Juno there (which I've yet to see), just talking about some of the recent movies in the genre.
Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really see what's not to like about Juno. I don't think it's going to rock anyone's world but the dialogue is authentically supra-realistic, rather in the way it is in Deadwood, (but more cute) and very funny. The casting is strong throughout, and I've a soft spot for The Moldy Peaches who provided most of the soundtrack (rather scarily I had more songs on my iPod from this film before the fact, than any other I can think of.) Most of all I want to adopt Ellen Page please.

[ 21.02.2008, 21:37: Message edited by: Amor de Cosmos ]

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to adopt Ellen Page

Is that some sort of euphemism?

Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of all I want to adopt Ellen Page please.

She's 21!

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know. Pity.
Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Speaking of movies about American HS life, I just saw Rocket Science. Good flick, focused on debate teams. It's part of a wide recent current that kind of glorifies socially inept and geeky teenagers (Napoleon Dynamite, Little Miss Sunshine -the older brother with speech issues-)"

I saw this last night. I thought it was ok, but tried too hard to be "quirky," at times. Excellent application of Violent Femmes, however.

I wouldn't include Little Miss Sunshine in that group, but there does appear to be an emerging genre of indy (or indyesque) "awkward teenager" films. I'd also ad "The Squid and the Whale."

It's at risk of vearing into cliche and irony-for-its-own sake, but it's an improvement over the teen films of the 1980s which always posed stereotypes as archetypes - the cheerleaders, the jocks, etc. Rocket Science and Juno are much more "accurate."

[ 22.02.2008, 17:58: Message edited by: Reed ]

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coffy
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Coffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe these movies are the response to the John Hughes movies--kids who grew up watching them and thinking, "Hey, what about us?" are now the ones who make the movies.
Posts: 3014 | From: where the action is | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's also Thumbsucker and, to some extent, The Chumscrubber.
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Driving Lessons" was also good, it's a British one that's kind of reminiscent of Harold and Maude but more low-key. The "foreign" teen movies don't go as much for the quirky angle.

Good points Reed, Coffy.

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe not exactly the same, but there was Tadpole about 4 or 5 years ago, about a private school kid that falls in love with his stepmom. It seemed to wear its Rushmore influence on its sleeve.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

I liked Driving Lessons.

Chumscrubber is part of a further sub-genre of new teen films of "dark stuff happening just below the surface of seemingly perfect suburbia" It also includes Alpha Dog, Brick, Pretty Persuasion and, to some extent American Beauty although each of those is also connected to other genres - true crime, neo noir, Lolitaesque and midlife crisis, respectively.

[ 26.02.2008, 23:56: Message edited by: Reed ]

Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tadpole was much, much better than Rushmore. Rushmore has all that annoying Wes Anderson BS. Tadpole was much sweeter and the characters weren't all caricatures.
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Chumscrubber is part of a further sub-genre of new teen films of "dark stuff happening just below the surface of seemingly perfect suburbia"
they sound a bit like the old teen films
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw Juno a couple of days ago, i have a question, do 16 year old Amreicans really talk like that?
Juno started to annoy me after about 15 minutes

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC