This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » There Will Be Blood

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: There Will Be Blood
RobW
Member # 1522

- posted      Profile for RobW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me if there's a thread already for this, but I couldn't see one.
Went to watch this last night, after Juno was surprisingly sold out.

I've been trying to think what to say about it, but there's so much to it all I can do is recommend it. It's a fantastic film, and whilst Day-Lewis is brilliant (he's pratically in every scene), Paul Dano who plays the self styled faith healer Eli Sunday (as well as his brother, Paul) is very good and i'm surprised he hasn't been Oscar nominated.
Despite playing a ruthless, money driven bastard, I couldn't help but laugh whenever I saw Day-Lewis scowl at the camera. He appears to be on the edge the whole time, and you suspect he'll burst into a fit of rage at any moment.
In one sense it's a bit like Once Upon A Time In The West, except that you substitute the emerging railroad for the discovery of oil.
Truly, a great film.

Posts: 1196 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mighty Mudhsuden
Member # 1072

- posted      Profile for Mighty Mudhsuden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really want to see this. Is Day-Lewis just redoing Bill the Butcher from Gangs of New York though? Cos that'd kinda suck.
Posts: 2061 | From: Hackensack... is that all you get for your money? | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobW
Member # 1522

- posted      Profile for RobW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erm, well I liked him as Bill the Butcher. I thought it was the only redeeming feature of that film. I'd say that it's more toned down that that. Obviously a little less violent, but a bastard nonetheless. He has some Scots-American accent going on and sounds a wee bit like Sean Connery- though not as much as that bloke in the 300.
Posts: 1196 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mighty Mudhsuden
Member # 1072

- posted      Profile for Mighty Mudhsuden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Bill the Butcher's ace, as is Day-Lewis. I'll get on the torrent case later.
Posts: 2061 | From: Hackensack... is that all you get for your money? | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this character is very different from bill the butcher. it's a very good film - i've now watched it a second time, mainly just to savour day-lewis' performance, and found i liked the whole movie a lot more on second viewing.
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Page 2 - halfway down.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't so sure about this one - seemed more like a film to admire than one in which to get involved. Well made and acted and all that, but didn't quite do it for me. Perhaps it's just not really my type of film.
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking forward to seeing it. In fact, from what I've heard, it's almost a sequel to Gangs of New York, at least in terms of Day-Lewis's involvement.

Run the two together, it's a potted history of Western Capitalism. Heavy blokes with large groups of mates shove their weight around, become self-proclaimed kings, then either scare other people into siding with them or kill everyone who doesn't. It took most European states centuries to get to this point, and appoint kings, it took virgin America about 80 years.

Day-Lewis's next film will be about him as a President ensuring that his alcoholic son can succeed him, by hook or by crook.

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
What's the rumpus?
Member # 752

- posted      Profile for What's the rumpus?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A compelling film with brilliant performances but too short of things to say to be a great one.

The Day-Lewis character is a politician in all but name, hustling from town to town, playing the family card, the religious card and any other card that will get him ahead.

His ambition is portrayed as a form of mania but the delusions of religion are shown even more savagely.

Posts: 907 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'M DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!!
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He acts well, but he never really lets you in, does he? I think it's a lack of relationships in his life. Even that with his kid never really exposes any of his inner self. For that reason, the film seemed a bit of a slog to me. Much to be admired, but nothing to get you emotionally involved.
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The local cinema palace doesn't have this film on, despite it having been Oscar nominated and released recently...
Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.onetouchfootball.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=002474;p=0&r=nfx
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC