This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » My Blueberry Nights

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Blueberry Nights
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
or how Wong Kar Wai lost the plot.

What the fuck was that? It had the woozy feel of a Wong Kar Wai film, but otherwise it was complete bollocks. Bland bland Norah Jones travels about, meets a few annoying and/or uninteresting people, and it's presented as a lesson in life and love.

His previous films have given emotional depth through the simplest touches. This one gives no depth at all despite piling on the bullshit.

Ugh.

[ 24.02.2008, 08:58: Message edited by: Jimski ]

Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree 100%, Jimski. Sorry, I saw this is France a few months ago so I should've warned you. His worst film by miles; I was absolutely stunned by how bad it was. Didn't know who I thought was th most idiotic and cliched - Natalie Portman's tart with a heart/Jude Law's mumbo-jumbo new age wisdom-spewing Brit/Rachel Weitz's...ah, I can't be arsed to go on - they were all rubbish. Dreadful stuff from a brilliant director.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm watching this tomorrow morning. I'm quite looking forward to it now.
Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm 15 minutes in and my first thought is that it's just like Match Point. Familiar well loved director, unfamiliar territory; a weird mix of the comfort in the style that makes me want to keep watching, and a real sense of the utter, utter wrongness of the whole concept.

I do however love and adore Cat Power and it seems The Greatest is going to be this film's California Dreaming which is fine by me, except that I've never been able to work out the lyrics, and now I have to.

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cat Power - 'The Greatest' and the cameo by Cat Power herself - were the film's only plus points. The rest of it was like Wong Kar Wai had been forced to direct a student script.

Did you make it to the end, lyra?

Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

I had to, I was watching it for work.

Yeah it was OK. Wong-lite I suppose. I found both Rachel Weisz and Natalie Portman annoying, and didn't care about their stories at all. Wong would never ever have had that kiss at the end, normally, I was saddened a bit by that.

lyra
Member # 1669

Also, Norah is fabulously beautiful and I always like watching women with truly beautiful faces like that.
Pants
Member # 404

Hmmm. Cat Power is fabulously beautiful. Nora's a bit bland-looking. If that was Wong-lite, put me down as a Wong-heavy fan.
lyra
Member # 1669

Chan is really lovely too, for sure.

Thing about Wong for me is that he's absolutely romantic and he deals with the unspoken. And I think making it spoken makes the magic disappear.

Pants
Member # 404

True. Especially when the spoken is so clunky and cliche-ridden. Some of Jude Law's lines were really terrible.
lyra
Member # 1669

And the accent! Oh dear.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC