This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » Watchmen (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Watchmen
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First pictures of some of the characters. Looks pretty sweet.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/watchmennews.php?id=6887

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That really is quite exciting.
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. Watchmen as Joel Schumacher era Batman. These people aren't supposed to be sexy and glamorous. They're washed out and fucked up. I'm warning you, this film is going to be awful. Two words: Zack Snyder.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You must be referring to the nipples on Ozymandias' outfit. They might want to rethink that.

I think the the images of the Comedian and Silk Spectre and Nite Owl represent what they looked like in their prime - a flashback sequence, perhaps. Of course, in the main part of the story, they're washed up, and in the case of The Comedian, dead.

-

Ozymandias looks about like he does in the comic as does Rorschach. Jackie Earle Haley is an inspired choice for that role, I think. And the other images of the sets and so forth are true to the comic's look. For the DVD, they're filming an animated movie of the Black Freighter story, with voice done by Gerard Butler. I don't know how much of that will be in the actual film.

I think it will be pretty good. Not brilliant or as good as the books, of course, but well worth a look.

300 was pretty dumb, but it really wasn't that far off of the graphic novel. The book was better, however, because it had the feel of a tall-tale told around the campfire. The stupid bits didn't seem so stupid. They just seemed "mythical."

I don't know how that could have been retained in the translation to film. I think they tried to do it but fell in love with the special effects and the right tone eluded them. I don't really see how it could have been done better as a live-action (or semi-live action) film.

Watchmen will work if they just sticks to a standard film-noir vibe. Like Blade Runner. So that shouldn't be so tricky since its been done before. Of course, it will be hard to cram in all the complexity and nuance of the story into a film, and some of that will be lost, but it usually is when a book becomes a film. Doesn't necessarily mean it will be a bad film.

[ 06.03.2008, 19:08: Message edited by: Reed ]

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, my initial verdict is "okay."

Same for Zack Snyder. Can't say he didn't capture exactly what was on the page from 300. Dawn of the Dead was well done as well.

I'm a lot more reticent about the Preacher HBO series after that Mark Steven Johnson laid an egg with Ghost Rider.

I saw the city of Watchmen being run down more than the heroes. In the background, the city certainly doesn't look like it's seeing boom times. It can also be a way of getting people to come to the show, by showing these nice looking heroes then having them be fucked up and washed up. Dramatic irony and all that. Hopefully they won't pull any punches with the ending, or any Rohrshach scenes (which are really tamer than anything in Sin City.)

The big danger is going too far the other way, and having a Ben Stiller-Mystery Men vibe - which would make it look like a comedy and keep people from coming. Thus, I am giving the costumes a stamp of approval.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where's Doctor Manhattan ?
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

No picture of him yet. I imagine they're holding back on that to build the excitement.
Reed
Member # 55

-
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Watchmen will work if they just sticks to a standard film-noir vibe."

Indeed. The fact that they are publicising it with Schumacher era Batman outfits on the characters from before the events of the book suggests that's not the approach they're taking.

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

But have you seen the other pictures?

-

-

-

-

-

Also, Dave Gibbons has endorsed the production and Moore said he thought the script was about as good as it could be, but he refuses to see the movie or be involved because he's Alan Moore and he can afford to be like that.

[ 06.03.2008, 19:49: Message edited by: Reed ]

My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the fact that Nite Owl looks like a Schumacher era Batman reject is an... ironic comment.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dr Manhatten will all be done in post-production won't he?

It'll be the actor in a blue/green bodysuit right now.

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

"Perhaps the fact that Nite Owl looks like a Schumacher era Batman reject is an... ironic comment."

I was hoping that at first, but so does Ozymandias. And Silk Spectre looks like a wannabe Kitty Pryde.

The other pics are more encouraging, but I really can't see this being anything other than a disaster, or at least a V for Vendetta style point-misser. Watchmen is all dialogue and intrigue. Snyder isn't.

Reed
Member # 55

My God, you're so negative. He's only done two other movies, I think. 300 and Dawn of the Dead. This could be his break-out.

I think Nite Owl looks ok. He looks like he's supposed to - lots of gadgets and theatricality. That's his schtick.

Silk Spectre was a pretty lame superhero in the book. That's part of the story. Only Dr. Manhattan has any real superpowers. The rest are just glorified actors. Silk Spectre is played by the Scandinavian girl that played the hottie that Eric had a three-way with on Entourage. She's really hot, except in that picture.

The idea of the comic is that costumed heros came into real life around the same time, and with roughly the same, er, umm....idiom, that they they entered American pop culture. But then, like so many other 1950s pop icons, faded, got into drugs, commit murder, and what have you. But to understand the story, you need to start when they were bright, shiny, new and, in retrospect, very cheezy and perhaps a bit lame.

I don't think V for Vendetta missed the point. It just didn't hit it very hard.

[ 06.03.2008, 21:28: Message edited by: Reed ]

Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

quote:
Silk Spectre was a pretty lame superhero in the book. That's part of the story. Only Dr. Manhattan has any real superpowers. The rest are just glorified actors.
But that's my point. They don't look like glorified actors. They look (Rorschach apart), like cheesy (and absolutely not 50s era) realisations of "proper" superheroes, both literally and metaphorically. Silk Spectre doesn't look "lame". She looks badass, but with a costume that's a rip off of the X-Men.

I'm willing to be proved wrong, but the omens are all bad, as far as I'm concerned. And it's not as if the history of comic book adaptations is littered with diamonds, least of all Alan Moore adaptations.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC