This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » Ten years of The Big Lebowski (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ten years of The Big Lebowski
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has there ever been a film harder to pin down than this? I mean, I love it but I'm not sure I can really explain why.

Anyway, here are some photos of me in a dressing gown: www.thisisnowhere.co.uk

</spam>

Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toxteth O'Grady
Member # 943

- posted      Profile for Toxteth O'Grady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice article. A small pedantic point - it's "Coen" not "Cohen".
Posts: 518 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still get depressed that Hollywood Star Lanes, the bowling alley in the film, is gone.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really great write-up. I'll definitely have to see this again. I saw it when it first came out (one of the rare movies that seems like it came out 10 years before it actually did - I thought it was 1988 and not 98.)

After Fargo, I guess I was hoping for something along the same lines, or a riff off those same lines. However, like a jam session that gets lost inside of itself and dissipates into the atmosphere, it meandered a block and a half too far for me. It went just barely over the edge past where I was willing to go with it.

However, knowing the rules of the film, and knowing that the Coens still came out with No Country for Old Men, I may enjoy it more the second time around.

(As far as riffs, Blue in the Face is the perfect jam session after a film. Smoke was a brilliant film that had strict rules and structure, but Blue in the Face was a great B side that took the characters and had fun with them. I wish they did this more with films.)

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks chaps. Typo noted, ta.
Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never understood this idea that the plot is particularly complicated, or that the film is confusing. Maybe it's because I've been immersed in film noir since I was little, but it seems pretty straightforward to me. A lot simpler than The Big Sleep, that's for sure.

If you're not quite sure why you like the film, you might want to read the BFI Classics book on it. It's very good, and teases out the inheritance from The Big Sleep and other noir. It's also good to watch it in conjunction with The Man Who Wasn't There, which is a completely different take on anti-noir.

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it again since it came out.

(But I feel like should after watching Veronica Mars.)

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it at all. I watched about 20 minutes once and got bored.
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are at least consistent in your wrongness, hobbes.
Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I'm not saying it was bad. Just that I got bored. It might not have even been the film that bored me. It's difficult to tell in that sort of a mood, isn't it?
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a film noir fiend, I can say that it still doesn't work. And hobbes is correct, even if I thought a few scenes and lines were great.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It battles with Jaws for the title of 'EIM's Fave Film Ever'. And that's quite the accolade.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get all the way through it either, but I recorded it off Film4 the other day with a view to trying again.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it about six or seven years ago. Wasn't particularly impressed.

Interestingly -- for want of a more appropriate word -- the guy who watched it with me killed himself the following afternoon.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love it, but I thought it was a big load of nothing when I first watched it. Same thing happened with Withnail & I and Spinal Tap. The more you watch any of those, the better they get; they kind of seep into your bone marrow and there's nothing you can do about it.
Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC