This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » Michael Haneke's new old film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Michael Haneke's new old film
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody going to bother with Haneke's seemingly pointless update of Funny Games? I loved the original when I saw it - it came as a complete blast out of nowhere, and I had little idea of what to expect.

A couple of slightly sinister yet basically ordinary young men invade the home of an extremely ordinary family. It worked well, as do many of the best 'horror' films, precisely because of this ordinariness - actors unknown*, at least to me, added to the underlying realism necessary for the full effect to hit home. Somehow the idea of watching the likes of Tim Roth and Naomi Watts trying to reproduce this atmosphere doesn't appeal.

It has been pretty much panned on release in the US anyway, and I certainly don't want to ruin my impression or memories of the original by taking in this remake.

* One of them was of course Ulrich Muehe, who later became extremely memorable for his role in The Lives of Others.

[ 21.03.2008, 17:01: Message edited by: Jimski ]

Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erwin
Member # 403

- posted      Profile for erwin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will they never learn?

The same thing happened with the excellent/abysmal 'Spoorloos'/'The Vanishing' by George Sluizer. The theory appears to be "Change the language, chuck some dosh at it, stick in a name or two and we'll have a hit in the US". (Can't they read subtitles over there?)

Well, I hope FG is a complete flop and loses whoever is responsible a packet. I, like you, Jimski, will be giving it a very wide berth.

Posts: 3378 | From: just this side of beyond all hope | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a few problems with the original, mostly because I didn't think it was half as clever as it thought it was. Sure it was grim and it had a point to make but it didn't half sledgehammer it home.

And the only thing that I can think of that's worse than an unknown actor turning to the camera and winking and going 'I'm only torturing this woman because you want me to! You're complicit in the culture of cinematic violence! You're a nasty pervy little voyeur, aren't you? Don't blame the filmmakers or the studios and their nauseating desperation to outgross each other in their attempts to appeal to young people - this isn't a pathetic attempt to weasel out of any social responsibility whatsoever, honestly, I'm just informing you that the rottenness at the heart of the industry is your fault and yours alone. And what do you mean, horror films can have a cathartic and important part to play in cinema if they're made with respect and imagination? Fuck that. Much too much like hard work. It's easier just to blame you, you twat." is the prospect of Tim bastard Roth doing it.

Unless it contains some monologue about mindless money grabbing dumbed down Hollywood remakes of perfectly decent films for morons who've been encouraged to believe that subtitles make a film totally inaccessible and having the original director involved doesn't actually make it any the better in fact actually makes it worse because they should Know Better. That would be quite good.

I do hope though that the remake of Brothers encourages some people to try out the Danish original, as seemed to happen with Insomnia and Ringu a bit.

[ 21.03.2008, 19:37: Message edited by: lyra ]

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do hope though that the remake of Brothers encourages some people to try out the Danish original, as seemed to happen with Insomnia and Ringu a bit.
Well, you've kind of made the rest of your post pointless with that last sentence, lyra. That's clearly one of the main reasons Haneke's done it. I'm massively looking forward to seeing this, simply because another viewing of this brilliant film - whether in English or French - is always welcome.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent post by lyra.

I actually think that the 'Hostel'-driven argument - extreme violence as an elightening political exercise - is utter horsepiss.

The mulitiplex audience for 'Funny Games' will comprise the same audience for Eli Roth movies: those who wish to be titillated by a gore-fest then go home and tell their mates about it.

I don't think much introspection will result.

[ 22.03.2008, 13:51: Message edited by: Joe Public ]

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, you've kind of made the rest of your post pointless with that last sentence, lyra. That's clearly one of the main reasons Haneke's done it.
No! Because I *like* Brothers and Insomnia and I think Funny Games is fraudulent toss.

And just to be clear, I wish they weren't remaking Brothers; but I'm probably being a snob.

[ 22.03.2008, 16:05: Message edited by: lyra ]

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is the prospect of Tim bastard Roth doing it.

I think Tim is one of the tortured in this production, so I doubt he'll be doing the asides to the camera.

Though that might make the film more interesting.

[ 22.03.2008, 18:17: Message edited by: Amor de Cosmos ]

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC