This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Re: re-reading (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Re: re-reading
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which books have you read most often? Me, the book I keep coming back to most frequently is The Wind In The Willows, as mentioned briefly here.

I've also read a lot of Wodehouse several times, and my copies of The Third Policeman and At Swim-Two-Birds have the grubby thumprints of repeated reading all over them, too.

Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spud
Member # 116

- posted      Profile for Spud     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have a bit of a problem with re-reading: I know what happens. The only exception is The Glory Game. I used to read it during the summer to get me ready for the new footy season. Of course, this was in the days when TGG was practically the only footy book you could read during the close season (or at any time).

I can't watch films more than once either.

Posts: 34 | From: The Hideous Fen | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tramp
Member # 112

- posted      Profile for Tramp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don’t re-read that often. I usually have a few books jostling for next read pole position and it worries me that I should be discovering new gems instead of revisiting old.

I do occasionally dip back in to a book to refresh my memory about something or other, but this very rarely turns into a full re-read.

I suppose cookery books would fall in to the repeated dip category.

Posts: 146 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Admin 8
Member # 78

- posted      Profile for Admin 8         Edit/Delete Post 
The Terminal Man by Michael Crichton

Good stuff, not overlong and nice for train journeys...I forget how many times i've read it, but it must be a lot judging by the spine damage.

Posts: 4186 | From: The Delete Key | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You shouldn't slouch so much on those train seats, then.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Basil
Member # 96

- posted      Profile for Basil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read Treasure Island 3 or 4 times when I was young, and I've recently read it to my boys as a bedtime story. The 9 year old loved it, but the 8year old was less enthusiastic. Arthur Ransome's Pigeon Post is the current "Children's classic" that I'm droning through.
Posts: 75 | From: Norfolk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ale
Member # 107

- posted      Profile for ale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With so much new literature out there and accumulating all the time I now feel guilty about even considering re-reading a dog-eared old favourite when theres all them virgin spines looking accusingly at me demanding to be broken(am I on the right site here?)
Posts: 3315 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to find my old standbys are the Dune series (that usually keeps me going for a good month or so,) American Psycho, which worries me almost as much as it worries my friends and any Chekov plays that I have lying around the place.

I keep all my Calvin and Hobbes books in the bathroom where, over time I'm sure myself and my flatmates have probably read all of them many times over.

I find I re-read a lot of books for the same reason I re-watch a lot of films. When you read a new one it's all new and I tend to whizz thru it thinking as much about what's going to happen as what is actually happening. After a few months I'll go back through it reading it more carefully without the pressure of wanting to find out the end quickly. That way I can re-read passages that are particularly good and pick up the nuances that I probably missed the first time round.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only ‘Bravo Two Zero’ by Andy McNab. Which actually improves with every read.
Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Art- haha.

I reread eveything. I'm can't take everything in one go, I always need to revelutate them. I've read most of my fave books 2-3 times, except Proust which I'd be a maniac to try again- took a good proportion of my early 20s to finish.

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the book I've read the most is 'Maisy Mouse Makes Ginger Bread', because the kids won't sleep until I've read it twice.

Other than that, I had to read Arkady & Boris Strugatsky's 'Definitly Maybe' three times, until I was sure i understood the gist of it.

Ditto 'Neuromancer'.

Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gordon Bennet
Member # 137

- posted      Profile for Gordon Bennet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I do every two years I'm getting myself all keyed up for the big summer football tournament by rereading "All Played Out". There's a bit on page 125 that starts out raising a wry smile before becoming really poignant. Bobby Robson talks about leaving out four Arsenal players, saying that they'll be able to go along to the USA four years later. He then specifically says how David Rocastle has got time on his side.
Posts: 750 | From: bad to worse | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Count Victor Lustig
Member # 156

- posted      Profile for Count Victor Lustig     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've read Borges' "Labyrinths" repeatedly. (huge prentension alert!) I've even read them in French - they're perfect stories to read in a language you aren't quite fluent in. Someone once said that Borges reads like he's in translation even in Spanish, so there you go.

Read The Great Gatsby and Heart of Darkness several times. Short, devastating, so much more than the sum of their parts - terrific.

Recently started reading things I had read in adolescence - Evelyn Waugh (seems much much better now, think I get more of the wit) and JG Ballard short stories (not as well written as I remembered but remarkably brilliant imagination) for example.

Apparently John Bayley read "A Dance to Music of Time" straight through every year.

And Ian Paisley reads the Bible in English and Hebrew straight through at least twice yearly.

Posts: 271 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliban3
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for Caliban3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just finished re-reading Memoirs of a Geisha which I absolutley love simply for its beautiful use of language. I don't think I've ever read any other book where the language is so gentle and evocative. However I'm devestated (well, maybe slightly disappointed) to hear that they're making it into a film. I know that in the future, when having a discussion about literature, I will be trying to illustrate a point about the use of language and say "Have you ever read Memoirs of a Geisha?" and all I'll ever get back is "No, I've seen the film though".

[ 30-05-2002, 10:26: Message edited by: Scalliewag ]

Posts: 2813 | From: The Tempest | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imp
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for imp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read EM Forster's A Passage To India four times at school, because we had to. After hating it the first time, I really began to love it the more we were told about its background, and the more I carefully read and 'understood' it. It was the same with Shakespeare's King Lear and my favourite Will play Troilus and Cressida. But I'm too lazy now to bother re-reading something that doesn't appeal to me first time. I was complaining last night in the pub to Reed and his mate and Titianb. how I'd speed-read Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury because it was so dull, and they said how they'd had to read it in school and you needed a guide to explain to you why it was good.

From my own experience with Forster and Shakespeare, I know they're probably telling the truth. And how I wish I had my days to waste now going to literary seminars. But I know I am never again going to pick up anything by William Faulkner as long as I live.

Posts: 4427 | From: such great heights | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC