This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » great (or at least good) books you didn't finish (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: great (or at least good) books you didn't finish
Count Victor Lustig
Member # 156

- posted      Profile for Count Victor Lustig     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lord Jim - not that it stopped me doing a book report on it in school.
Wide Sargasso Sea (particularly embarassing since it isn't that long)
The Magic Mountain
The Man Without Qualities
Vanity Fair (never got too far into it)
The Famished Road
One Hundred Years of Solitude
The Brothers Karamazov
And the one that I'm most ashamed to admit to, and I suspect many will also have on a similar list ... Ulysses. Just after the Cyclops section. Loved it at the start, got bogged down in Sirens, didn't like the one-note humour of Cyclops (and opinion I feel better about since Craig Raine agrees, according to the foreword of the copy I had)

All the above were very good books (well, not sure about 100 years of solitude), it's just ... that they suddenly became hard going, and something else came along that I also wanted to read (Memoirs of Hadrian for example displaced Ulysses and there was no going back) And in mitigation aside from Bratya Karamazov & The famished road they were library books and had to go back eventually.

Posts: 271 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pride & Prejudice
Don Quixote (The man from the La Manga training camp)
Lord of the Rings
Three men and a boat

Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gordon Bennet
Member # 137

- posted      Profile for Gordon Bennet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How could you fail to complete Three Men in a Boat? It's only about 25 pages long. One session on the loo after a night on the curry and you've finished it.

Robert Graves's collection of Greek Myths has beaten me hands down.

Posts: 750 | From: bad to worse | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarlett Green
Member # 74

- posted      Profile for Scarlett Green     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Old Man & The Sea

I had to study it for GCSE and I hated it. It's the only book I've started and not finished

Posts: 51 | From: Dublin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ale
Member # 107

- posted      Profile for ale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lord Of The Rings.....slogged through to about page 950 and then realised I couldnt give a flying one how the remaining 150 or so pages unfolded...
Posts: 3315 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon Bennet's comments on Three Men In a Boat apply, and even more so, to The Old Man and The Sea - it's amongst the flimsiest pamphlets on my shelves.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oolon Colluphid LLB
Member # 123

- posted      Profile for Oolon Colluphid LLB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. I'm sorry, but I really cannot stand Dickens. I managed to finish Hard Times but it was an uphill struggle.
Posts: 3194 | From: a Distance' is a rubbish song | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Third Policeman, and I dont' know why, because every time I start it, I enjoy it, but I never quite get to the end.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a 3,000 word piece on 'Great Expectations' a couple of months ago as part of a first year English degree module without having read the book in anything like its entirity.
Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner
Member # 149

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ulysses. I don't enjoy it, I see it as a challenge. Six unsuccessful attempts starting at school. Next- Finnegan's Wake!

Not...

Posts: 2121 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Afterit gathered enough votes to be second on the OTF book list, this is going to seem bad, but The Catcher in the Rye just didn't get started for me. And I tried to read it at the age when you are suppose to, 16. I can't remember the exact reasons for disliking it though.

I did finish Doctor Zhivago. But it took four years. And I refuse to read it again.

Oh, and Anna Karenina. Anna's a fool, and Vronsky's a prat, and I got the feeling halfway through that intensly disliking both of them would mean that the fairly obvious ending to the book would lack any sort of resonance or tragedy. Similar reaction to Of Mice and Men. Although I blame my dislike of the main characters in that one on being force to read it for school. When I am repeatedly told "This character is wholly sympathetic", I tend to what to find him otherwise.

Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ulysses. i also got to cyclops. then i thought, why bother?
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fowles' A maggot...love JF, but this was totally inpenetrable

Almost everything by John Irving, Owen Meany certainly, although I have read Garp once.

Stephen King's Insomnia. Wife loves it, and him, thought this would be a great way to get me to love SK (enjoyed Misery & The Green Mile). Didn't.

Millions of others probably, but these have been quite recent.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee.

I just couldn't take the injustice any more.

Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Balderdasha
Member # 109

- posted      Profile for Balderdasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lord of the Rings is the only book I've never finished too. People seem to either love it or find it interminably slow. I did keep meaning to try again, but now the films have come out my heart just isn't in it. The tyranny of Hollywood.
Posts: 1660 | From: age frais | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC