This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » help needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: help needed
Domestiques
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Domestiques     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recall looking up a book a few months ago, the storyline seemed to be just too good to pass up. I passed it up.
Now here I am just thinking I will go and buy it from the local book shop and I cant remember the title or author.

heres what I know, I think.

chap goes back through time to influence his rock heroes, hendrix, morrison.

thats all I know, any ideas?

American author by the way.

Posts: 337 | From: upstairs back bedroom | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might be this:
quote:
Glimpses

by Lewis Shiner [1993, reprint 3/01]

"This is a great read for science fiction fans and rock and roll fans alike. A compelling story of a man's search for meaning in his life (and sorting out his realtionship with his late father) set against a background of journeying back through time to meet with rock icons like Hendrix and Morrison, who represent various parts of Ray's (the main character's) psyche. Shiner's knowledge of rock history is excellent and the plot device used to send our hero back in time is less techno-oriented and more "Twilight Zone-ish" in nautre. This is a highly enjoyable novel. If you're a music fan, don't let the sci-fi tag steer you away from this, and vice versa."

Bomp review: like Shiner's other books ("Deserted Cities of the Heart" comes to mind), this is not primarily sci-fi, though the genre gives him a platform--not unlike the late genius Philip K. Dick. It's primarily a book about human consciousness, and rock & roll. As a serious rock fan, Shiner is aware that many of his idols left behind unfinished masterpieces. Through the device of a time-travel radio, he allows his hero to visit with Brian Wilson, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, and the Beatles, to explore the reasons these works remained unfinished, and some of the mysteries surrounding them. Thanks to careful research, it is a very believeable effort to get inside the heads of these artists, as well as to capture the mood of what was happening around them, and in their time. His efforts to ward off the inevitable diasters facing his heroes is almost heart-wrenching, and his inner growth as a result of his (imaginary?) interaction with some of rock's most unique personalities is what lifts this to the realm of literature. I'm really glad it's come back into print.

Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Domestiques
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Domestiques     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much, that is the one. I will write it down now and make the purchase.
Posts: 337 | From: upstairs back bedroom | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC