This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » You'd still buy it if every page was blank (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: You'd still buy it if every page was blank
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill Bryson is a decent enough writer, although I think his non-travel stuff outshines the tourist diaries. Mother Tongue is a wonderful piece of work.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's what I reckon. His travel writing, though enjoyable, is shot through with an old gittish, "what's the world come to?" worldview, but his non-travel books are awesome.

Made In America is one of the finest popular academic works I've ever read, and Mother Tongue is next on my list of things to read (I love things like that: see also Anthony Burgess' A Mouthful Of Air)

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gordon Bennet
Member # 137

- posted      Profile for Gordon Bennet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any sheet music by John Cage
Posts: 750 | From: bad to worse | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Batt, you mean.

Anyway: Houellebecq, Nick McDonell (he's only done one so far, granted) for sure.

A year ago, Douglas Coupland, but I thought All Families Are Psychotic was a bit of a step backwards.

And a while back, Stephen Fry. I stuck with him after the distinctly average Making History, but probably won't after The Star's Tennis Balls, which was really bloody awful.

Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piscesboy
Member # 94

- posted      Profile for piscesboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'the liar' is just the
funniest book i've ever read,
except 'the rachel papers' maybe.
what put me off mr. fry
strangely though, was his
'room 101' on tv last year
in which he came across as
a right reactionary old
scumbag. it's funny u bring
him up, as last night he was
the best thing on 'blackadder 3'
playing wellington.
side-splitting he was.

Posts: 940 | From: manchester, england. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've read The Liar so many times, I can just open it anywhere and read for a bit, then put it down again. I'm also on my second copy, after the first one fell apart.

I thought he was OK on Room 101, although he did insist on doing his worrying bit about critics all being pointless scum, which always seems uncharacteristically irrational and self-serving. Although if I'd been in Relative Values, maybe I'd say the same.

Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piscesboy
Member # 94

- posted      Profile for piscesboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah he slagged off tom p
and alison whatserface.
but *worse* was his criticising
of mark cousins (cousens ?)
because 'films are just
films' or something.

Posts: 940 | From: manchester, england. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michel Houellebecq's Les particules elementaires is one astonishing read. His biography of HP Lovecraft is very good too and you could tell there that he was absolutely enthralled by HPL misanthropic attitude.

Simon, if your French is good enough and you are interested in HPL, I can lend you my copy.

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Les particules elementaires the book that's translated as Atomised?
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is this houellebecq that good? is he the guy who lives in a semi-d somewhere in south dublin? i've heard a lot about him but never read anything, never stumbled on one of his books in the shop.

SR: bill bryson i can understand ... but camille paglia? why?

i would also like to add philip roth to my brand loyalty list. i have just finished the human stain and it's brilliant. especially this female french academic character. it's great because he appears to have written dozens of books over the past 30 years or so. many enjoyable hours ahead...

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philly B
Member # 346

- posted      Profile for Philly B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen King. He's even slagged off his soon to be released novel From a Buick 8 as just being a tired rehash of Christine (I'm paraphrasing) and this is what has contributed to his retirement, he feels he has nothing original left to write.

Despite this I'll still be buying the book.

Posts: 15 | From: Out Of Nowhere | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is Andy. Vlad, I read an interview of him and the guy basically pisses away his money in the middle of nowhere in Ireland and tries to shag female journalists.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

Whatever (I can't remember the French title, it's totally different) is great as well. Don't be put off by the astoundingly bad cover design on the UK version, which is so shoddily inappropriate that I suspect they may have hired the BBC News Online graphics department. It makes the book look like a trashy sci-fi about the internet and cattle farming. Which, er, it isn't. Also I assume Tibor Fischer is taking the piss.
goldfishboy
Member # 142

- posted      Profile for goldfishboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Horse you're right, the French cover and title are much better. It's a great book.

David Foster Wallace is the only writer all of whose books I own though. The last thing I said to my most recent girlfriend after we broke up: I asked her to return my copy of Infinite Jest, and she did it, too.

[ 09-08-2002, 13:13: Message edited by: goldfishboy ]

Posts: 170 | From: here to eternity, without in-betweens | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

On your recommendation I requested Infinite Jest for my birthday. It's appropriately titled, isn't it? The damn thing's the size of a Vauxhall Corsa!
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC