This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Book exchanges?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Book exchanges?
Balderdasha
Member # 109

- posted      Profile for Balderdasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any of these wonderful institutions in Britain? They've been a source of wonder and delight since arriving in South America. I brought five cheapy second hand-books with me and on the basis of those I've changed them in many different cities usually for about 50p and have read everything from English classics like Turn of the Screw, through great Ursula le Guin sci-fi, moving Vietnam stories and good old-fashioned murder mystery trash.

I love them much more than libraries, where I always get overwhelmed by the choice and end up not being able to choose anything. With a book exchange you take anything that's available in your native language that isn't a Mills and Boon, and end up reading some great stuff that I'd never have picked myself.

Why have I never found one in Britain?

Posts: 1660 | From: age frais | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piscesboy
Member # 94

- posted      Profile for piscesboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there's a really good one in manchester.
in fact there's 2 but only 1 good one.
there's also one in london that's...erm
oh it's by a borders and g-a-y nightclub,
not far from a boots. that one.

Posts: 940 | From: manchester, england. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ale
Member # 107

- posted      Profile for ale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah terrific institutions but getting harder to find....the last one I frequented seemed to use the books as a cover for transactions involving dirty macs and shrink wrapped magazines....which would probably explain how it seemed as by the end I'd read and returned every book in the store...not that the Gaberdine Angus brigade ultimately kept the shop open...
Posts: 3315 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC