This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Great London Novels (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Great London Novels
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I said, Mary Barton.

[ 07-01-2003, 13:31: Message edited by: Wyatt Earp ]

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<edit - yah barstard, Phil. Ruin a good joke, why don't you just.>

[ 07-01-2003, 13:33: Message edited by: Gangster Octopus ]

Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is any of Lawrence's stuff actually set in Nottingham? I've a feeling it isn't.

If not, does Sillitoe count or is he not great enough?

[ 07-01-2003, 13:35: Message edited by: Wyatt Earp ]

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

Academic novels are set in cities, in a way. That widens the field a little: Lucky Jim and so on. Bradbury's stuff, like Lodge's, tends to have a thinly disguised, but clearly identifiable, location; are we allowing that?
The Quiet Man
Member # 506

- posted      Profile for The Quiet Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not if we're only including "great" novels. Which Bradbury and Lodge ain't written.
Posts: 6639 | From: The Chestnut Tree Café | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oolon Colluphid LLB
Member # 123

- posted      Profile for Oolon Colluphid LLB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean by "great" though? The likes of Gaskell and Bennett are great novelists in my opinion, but they often get overlooked.
Posts: 3194 | From: a Distance' is a rubbish song | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Quiet Man
Member # 506

- posted      Profile for The Quiet Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mean significantly better than Bradbury and Lodge.
Posts: 6639 | From: The Chestnut Tree Café | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selwyn Rice
Member # 262

- posted      Profile for Selwyn Rice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Fowler's End' by Gerald Kersh is a very funny novel set in London (albeit in a mythical, grotty suburb).
Posts: 221 | From: The Batsford Arms | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

Da Void's request was for "works of serious literature" rather than "great novels". Lodge is maybe too airporty to count (though he thinks he's densely allusive and literary, you can tell), but Bradbury's in there. And actually, if there's a better satirical novel than The History Man written in England since the War, it's not leaping to mind (or I haven't read it).
The Quiet Man
Member # 506

What A Carve-Up!.

Coe's caricatures satirise genuine and important people, whereas Bradbury's genuine-seeming characters satirise unimportant caricatures.

There must be many others. The History Man is funny, but it's not a very important book.

I stand corrected on the serious novels though.

Muzz Lightyear
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Muzz Lightyear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Four Hundred" (can't recall the author) was set in London.
Good story .

Posts: 1400 | From: infinity and beyond | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Is any of Lawrence's stuff actually set in Nottingham". The Rainbow and Women in Love, were I think supposed to be set in Eastwood where Lawrence grew up - a small town, not a city. Similarly Anna of the Five Towns, and all of Arnold Bennet - Stoke, it's five towns not a city. I can think of plenty of other great novels (perhaps works of great literature wasa little too restricting) set in English towns, but none set in the big cities - Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Leeds, Nottingham, Newcastle etc. Lodge I'd allow, by the way.
Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steveee,

A good place to start might be Ed Glinert's Guide to Literary London.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140279040/ukbasedtimeshari/202-1664493-3203069

This book turns up all the time in remainder books (Victoria Street, possibly)for about £5 so don't buy it off Amazon.

It's primarily a walking book and doesn't comment on the quality of books. But it has an excellent index to browse and come up with some more London-connected novels. The author is very learned, with lots of modern stuff as well as classics like Dickens.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, 'Bleak House' is fantastic for giving you a picture of what life was like in and around Chancery Lane. 'Our Mutual Friend' covers South-east London and 'Little Dorrit' is set in and around the Marshelsea Prison that used to be just opposite where Borough Tube Station is now.

'Our Mutual Friend' is my favourite though. It's great.

I read 'Absolute Beginners' when I was seventeen and really liked it. If that's any help.

'Nights At The Circus' by Angela Carter is set half in London and half in St. Petersburg. That's pretty good too.

A while ago Books etc gave away a collection of short stories and snippets from novels that were all set in London. It was really good. I'm still looking for some of the stuff that was in that collection. 'Hangover Square' by Patrick Hamilton that was one of them.

"However I'm having problems thinking of any works of 'serious literature' set in other English cities (deliberately not including Dublin or Edinburgh)".

Er, would Brighton Rock count?

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Angela Carter's a good call - Several Perceptions seems to be a pretty accurate depiction of 60s London outside "swinging" circles (not that I was there). Graham Greene, too: The End of the Affair gives you a good wartime Clapham and Golders Green (I think).

He's not written a "great" novel yet, but pretty much all Will Self's stuff gives you a good picture of (mostly late 80s/early 90s) London. Lots of it's set in North London, but he's also got a thing about the Westway and seems to know the city's roads inside out. That's something which put me off his stuff before I moved here, actually - I had no picture of the layout of London and I resented the implication that I should give a Shit. But I really enjoy most of it now, he's super-readable.

I read the MacInnes London trilogy when I was 17, too - had bit of a mod thing going on for a few months. I really enjoyed them. Absolute Beginners was set around Pimlico, wasn't it?

*****SUPER SPOILER*********
Come to think of it, doesn't City of Spades' Johnny Fortune die as the result of his heroin addiction in the end? That must have been quite a new thing for 50s UK literature to look at?

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC