This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Search For The Official OTF Anti-Author (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Search For The Official OTF Anti-Author
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Overkill, no?
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oolon Colluphid LLB
Member # 123

- posted      Profile for Oolon Colluphid LLB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not necessarily. Why don't we start with Tony Parsons?
Posts: 3194 | From: a Distance' is a rubbish song | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brave single Dad.

JULIE BURCHILL

Posts: 3478 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Rebhuhn
Member # 128

- posted      Profile for Alan Rebhuhn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inventive, acerbic, and finger on the pulse

(http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,348031,00.html)

I give you, Martin Cruz Smith

Posts: 887 | From: this valley they say you are going, | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Shedd
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Johnny Shedd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone remember those 'blockbuster' novels Tony Parsons wrote in the 80's. One was about a fading rock star and the other about a fading tennis star (I think). They were so bad that they haven't even been re-issued on the back of his recent success.
Posts: 494 | From: The Hideous Fen Of Huge Bigness | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gorky Park was made into quite a good film, whose inaccuracies made my CIA mate laugh out loud, thus giving one of the Agency's few left-wing Democrats a moment of pleasure.

Jean M Auel

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend wants to be a writer (and is actually very good) and constantly patronises my lack of knowledge of quality literature. Therefore the bizarre misapprehension that she has that Jean M. Auel represents quality literature allows me an occasional subversive chuckle to myself.
It also allows me to nominate Robert Llewelleyn, famous for playing Kryten in Red Dwarf, and notorious for writing The Man on Platform Seven, an abomination of a book which is badly written, offensively stereotypes both the middle-classes and the working classes while mouthing platitudes against stereotyping and namedrops tedious Z list celebrities like Craig Charles and Nigel Planer.

Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not refereeing this thread. Clayhanger can do that.
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In what way is that refugee-baiting, war-mongering, lazy self-justifying populist prick Parsons "brave"?
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried reading Platinum Logic once. Gave up very quickly.
Shortly before I left UK in 1988 I saw Parsons on a late night chat show. He was dressed in a yellow adidas t-shirt, faded drainpipe jeans and trainers - which he rested momentarily on the coffee table in front of him. In short he was playing the oik upstart to the hilt. Ten years later I saw him on TV again. This time he was in a neat navy double breasted blazer with a red poppy in his lapel and he was playing the suave, successful man of letters. Again, to the hilt.
Same haircut though.

Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Shedd
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Johnny Shedd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'In what way is that refugee-baiting, war-mongering, lazy self-justifying populist prick Parsons "brave"?'

Don't you read the papers E10? Single dads are brave while single mums are just trying to get council houses or screw their husband's via the CSA.

I had the same experience daV. It seems like one minute I was reading his first couple of novels and then he was a 'respected' author. I seem to have missed the intervening years of style gurudom. Must have been asleep.

Sorry - the thread. Robert Llewelleyn: Deserves a chance because he spent all those years making people laugh and no one knew who he was without the make-up.

My choice: Andy McNab (the chap who writes the SAS books)

[ 19-01-2003, 18:36: Message edited by: Keith Shedd ]

Posts: 494 | From: The Hideous Fen Of Huge Bigness | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oolon Colluphid LLB
Member # 123

- posted      Profile for Oolon Colluphid LLB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not refereeing this thread. Clayhanger can do that.

Oh dear, I'm not sure if I can handle the responsibility. Okay, I rule that no one has come up with a good defence for Parsons yet, so we've got him and Andy McNab.

Posts: 3194 | From: a Distance' is a rubbish song | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony Parsons kept Julie Burchill out of circulation for a while in one of the great "they deserve each other" relationships. (Alas, how briefly. Poor, poor Charlotte Raven.)

Jeffrey "great storyteller" Archer

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We need heroes and villains. (Hmm, could be the title of his next book...)

Evelyn Waugh

Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exonerated for Scoop. 70 years+ on still rings true for the way Fleet Street treats foreign news.

I was going to nominate Nick Hornby for making me feel physically ill while reading Hi-Fidelity. In retrospect I concede this may only have been due to his skill at rendering characters I once knew/could have become.

Instead I'll offer Lawrence Durrel. It's one thing screwing your own 12 year old daughter, but then working it into the plot of your own five novel opus is going a little far. Having read extracts from his (by then dead - she hanged herself) daughter's diary in Granta a few years back I have been unable even to look at a Durrel novel without feeling ill.

Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC