This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » fantasy books that can hold their own (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: fantasy books that can hold their own
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second that, Martin is completely aces.
Although it's annoying that it's probably going to be years before he even writes the next book.

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

- posted      Profile for Posty Webber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't say that. I'm actually hoping to have the next one in my greasy little palms by April or so…

The scary thing is that Martin will probably be dead before the series is finished – he's pretty fat and aint no spring chicken.

I wish evryone else on here had read the series thus far – I reckon there would be some great insight and deconstruction from the cluey OTF masses. Alas…

Posts: 1019 | From: the family Hominidae | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We could have a spoiler thread if you like. Although I've been saving A Feast For Crows to read at Christmas. But I'd quite like to talk about them a bit more...
Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

And what do you know about the next one?! His website just says 'it ain't done yet stop pestering me' and has done so since February...
lyra
Member # 1669

Oh lordy. People have sent him pictures of their babies. That they've named Arya and Sansa and Nymeria (which I can understand) and Jaime (which I can't, really). And their pets.
VTTBoscombe
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for VTTBoscombe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a stupid thing yesterday. I was flying home via Brum Airport so I looked in the airport book shop.
There was yet another Chronicles of Thomas Covenant saga . This one called the last one - I bet.

So I bought it anyway.
Despiser on a bike! - it's like a bloody Dean Koontz novel so far, what happened to shambling leper stuff in the early ones?

Naturally I am enthralled and looking forward to being sucked into The Land.

Posts: 1047 | From: La Côte du Rhin | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

I've been trying to read the first one of those and kind of getting stuck just after the rape/him and the mum start on a long journey. I'm not sure why I've stalled cos I was really liking it. Perhaps I just cannot be doing with the modern person fallen through strange portal idea, and need to get over that.
VTTBoscombe
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for VTTBoscombe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first book of the first trilogy, the true Unbeliever time, is a bit lightweight, Lyra, it kind of introduces the whole land stuff; but it gets really more interesting from book two onwards.
Book 1 I found is very standard formula of this genre, "The Illearth War" really motors though.
Keep at it, there are some great characters just around the corner.

As an aside, a slight downside I find with Donaldson, is his naming of major characters - especially naughty one, sometimes it is quite childish - Lord Foul, Drool Rockworm, etc, he gets better; but I have expected someone like Johnny Fartypants to be mentioned.

Posts: 1047 | From: La Côte du Rhin | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

OK, I will keep going.

Oh I also wanted to mention The Lies if Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. I really loved it.

Posty Webber
Member # 325

- posted      Profile for Posty Webber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lyra – I don't know anything about the delivery of the next book, although on an ASOIAF message board where the administrator (and others) know GRRM, speculation suggests mid-next year – the masochist in me shaved a couple of months off of that for no particular reason.

I can't believe you have not read AFFC yet! Are you mad, woman!

You'll probably be disappointed by it (as many were upon their first read), but it is actually really amazing too. Kinda like a bridging book describing the fallout from The Red Wedding, leading up to the next book, which from it's title suggests that a certain character might be landing in Westeros, ready to meet-out some retribution.

quote:
…they've named Arya and Sansa and Nymeria (which I can understand) and Jaime (which I can't, really).
I love Jamie. Read AFFC and you'll understand.

Man - I'm such an ASOIAF nerd that it's scary. I'd love to dish out some hard-core insights on a spoiler thread, but I can't imagine it going down too well on these puritan forums.

Posts: 1019 | From: the family Hominidae | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

That's such a shame. I would so like to talk spoilers too but if it annoys people I guess that's fair enough.

And yeah I know, re the title of the next one!

I will read AFFC over Christmas/New Year - I wanted to save a treat book for the 'holidays'. That and The Escapement, the new KJ Parker. I hate reading the last of a series if I know the next won't be out for ages.

Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a book which has been on my shelve forever and I keep on meaning to read at the right time/place, Lord Dunsany's "Time and the Gods". I have the impression I need to take a couple of days off on a warm spring week and go in some lovely isolated valley, with woodlands, a babbling brook and a bottle of absinthe to really enjoy that one...
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

Posty, I just joined a couple of ASOIAF groups on shelfari.com. I have no idea if it's actually any good for discussion, mind, but still...
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Croute:

I have an ancient copy of Lord Dunsany's 'The King of Elfland's Daughter' and it is indeed wonderful!

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
However, my favourite series of 'fantasy' books are 'The Book of the New Sun' series, by Gene Wolfe. These made such an impression on me when I first read them that I now almost cannot read any other fantasy novels - they're all just too far in the shade of those ones. Really - seriously recommended. He's a fantastic writer, I think.

(edit: just discovered that the first volume of this tetralogy - 'The Shadow of the Torturer' was at one point voted to No.3 in a chart of 'best fantasy novels ever written', where no.s 1 and 2 were 'The Lord of the Rings' and 'The Hobbit'. Hopefully that says something about its quality.)

[ 12.01.2008, 01:54: Message edited by: evilC ]

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC