This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Top 40 Australian books (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Top 40 Australian books
briziola trevezdley
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for briziola trevezdley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As voted by the Australian Society of Authors ...

1. Tim Winton - Cloudstreet

2. Christina Stead - The Man Who Loved Children

3. Henry Handel Richardson - The Fortunes of Richard Mahony

4. Tim Winton - Dirt Music

5. Patrick White - Voss

6. Patrick White - The Tree of Man

7. Norman Lindsay - The Magic Pudding

8. David Malouf - An Imaginary Life

9. Jessica Anderson - Tirra Lirra by the River

10. George Johnston - My Brother Jack

11. Peter Carey - Oscar and Lucinda

12. David Malouf - Remembering Babylon

13. AB Facey - A Fortunate Life

14. Miles Franklin - My Brilliant Career

15. Ethel Turner - Seven Little Australians

16. Peter Carey - True History of the Kelly Gang

17. Helen Garner - The Children's Bach

18. Patrick White - Riders in the Chariot

19. C Manning Clark - A History of Australia (6 vols)

20. Judith Wright - Collected Poems

21. Ruth Park - The Harp in the South

22. Peter Goldsworthy - Maestro

23. David Marr - Patrick White: A Life

24. May Gibbs - Snugglepot and Cuddlepie

25. Patrick White - The Vivisector

26. Xavier Herbert - Capricornia

27. Katharine Susannah Prichard - Coonardoo

28. Frank Moorhouse - Grand Days

29. Sally Morgan - My Place

30. Kenneth Slessor - One Hundred Poems

31. Tim Winton - The Riders

32. Joseph Furphy - Such is Life

33. John Marsden - Tomorrow When the War Began

34. Patrick White - The Eye of the Storm

35. David Malouf - Fly Away Peter

36. Christina Stead - For Love Alone

37. Marcus Clarke - For The Term of His Natural Life

38. Kate Grenville - The Idea of Perfection

39. Peter Carey - Illywhacker

40. Frank Hardy - Power Without Glory

I've read the Tim Wintons and the Peter Careys. Started a couple of Patrick Whites and David Maloufs and never finished 'em. The list seems dominated by those four blokes, which shows something about the lack of depth in Australian literature, I think.

Tim Winton appeared on a popular chat show here last night, supporting an environmental cause and looking highly uncomfortable with role as "Australia's greatest ever author". And one of the panellists asked him the question everyone always must ask him "Why does The Riders finish like that? Its horrible!"

Oh, and I've heard of most all these books, except No 9 Tirra Lirra by the River, and no 22, Maestro. Which I have no idea about.

[ 29-05-2003, 02:18: Message edited by: briztreadley ]

Posts: 917 | From: the back of the grupetto | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willie1Foot
Member # 18

- posted      Profile for Willie1Foot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear. I haven't read any of them. I think I'll start with a Carey.

I also saw Tim Winton on The Panel last night, and was extremely disappointed. I found him totally uninteresting.

Posts: 3221 | From: the shores of Botany Bay | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Quiet Man
Member # 506

- posted      Profile for The Quiet Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not read any of them either. Except a few pages of Oscar and Lucinda when I was sharing a hotel room in Sofia in 1991 with somebody who was reading it.
Posts: 6639 | From: The Chestnut Tree Café | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willie1Foot
Member # 18

- posted      Profile for Willie1Foot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just noticed.... no Keneally?
Posts: 3221 | From: the shores of Botany Bay | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started reading the 'True History of the Kelly Gang' over Christmas, but gave up just at the point he was about to start his bush outlaw career.

It's a bit of a grim read. His average day as a teenager seemed to involve waking up hungry, trying to steal a chicken, being beaten up by his mother for failing to steal the chicken and then being beaten up by the local constable for being spotted trying to steal the chicken.

I wasn't really in the mood for it at the time anyway. I quite like the gallows humour at work behind it all though, so i'll probably give it another go eventually.

I'm ashamed to say though, i've hardly heard of any of those books.

[ 29-05-2003, 10:45: Message edited by: Matt P ]

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've only heard of the odd one which has been made into a film. Where would be the best place to start with Australian literature?
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Quiet Man
Member # 506

- posted      Profile for The Quiet Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the very beginning. A very good place to start.

Or have I done that gag?

Posts: 6639 | From: The Chestnut Tree Café | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Old Melbourne Gaol (where the Kellys were interred) over Christmas. It seemed like a good way to prepare oneself for the MCG Test match.

I've heard a lot of good things about that Kelly gang book Matt, from people whose judgement I normally trust. So the Kellys then: sh*t-upon mistreated immigrants or a bunch of mad pikeys?

[ 30-05-2003, 17:12: Message edited by: E10 rifle ]

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hee, no you can tell fundamentally that it's a good book and I s'pose the fact I can remember a fair bit about the fifty or so pages I read of it six months ago or so shows the chap has a way for sticking a bit of dialogue or an image in your head for quite a while.

There were bits in the book that implied that Ned Kelly's dad was a transvestite who liked dressing up in old womens clothes too.

I think there was definately a case that they were part of an exploited immigrant class, driven mad with despair, hunger and the lonliness of being shunted out into the middle of nowhere for generations. You know though, my knowledge of Australian history is about as bereft as my knowledge of Australian literature. I know it was a penal colony obviously, but I don't know how that system was administered - you know was it like 'Cool Hand Luke' or kind of violent and impoverished versions of the village in 'The Prisoner' - or at what point it stopped being a penal colony either.

Has anyone ever seen the film with Mick Jagger in it by the way? Is it any good?

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I highly recommend The Magic Pudding (#7).
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
briziola trevezdley
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for briziola trevezdley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sally Morgan's My Place is a very good place to start. Autobiogaphy of a Aboriginal woman.
Posts: 917 | From: the back of the grupetto | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Quiet Man
Member # 506

quote:
I highly recommend The Magic Pudding
Thinking about it, I do know that, I think. Though I don't think I've read it - but I might well have had it read to me.

[ 30-05-2003, 00:39: Message edited by: The Quiet Man ]

briziola trevezdley
Member # 29

quote:
I just noticed.... no Keneally?
Yes, that's very odd. Especially when even David Malouf's less celebrated novels are in there.

I would have thought Schindler's Ark would be in there. Or The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith.

[ 30-05-2003, 04:39: Message edited by: briztreadley ]

Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read anything on the list, either, and I think the only book by any of those authors that I've read is Tim Winton's Blueback.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only read the Carey, and I'm surprised that Illywhacker is so low down the list and that The Tax Inspector doesn't feature at all.
Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC