This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Michel Houllebecq (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Michel Houllebecq
Leatherface
Member # 175

- posted      Profile for Leatherface     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe we haven't had a thread yet on this guy yet. He's an absolute genius. Anyone else read Atomised and/or Platform? His other, less-known books are pretty amazing too.
Posts: 717 | From: Israel-upon-Thames | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had some discussion about him. I highly recommend his biography of HP Lovecraft (French only) which goes a long way to explain what influence the master of Providence had on him.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leatherface
Member # 175

- posted      Profile for Leatherface     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's the only book by him I haven't read - Extension du domaine de la lutte (dryly called Whatever in the English edition) was his first one; it's pretty good and got turned into a film. He recently did a very short one called Lanzarote which was OK - but not as good as the two mentioned in the first thread.
Posts: 717 | From: Israel-upon-Thames | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heston Bee
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for Heston Bee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've missed something in his work. I read Atomised a while ago and although his style is interesting and easy to read I really don't understand the hype about the content of his work. Could someone explain to me why he's considered highly?
Posts: 1493 | From: Loondoon | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't believe we haven't had a thread yet on this guy yet.
We have. We had a pretty big thread about a year ago. I love him. Both Atomised and Platform are genius. Atomised, in particular, absolutely blew my head off. I'll try and dig the thread out and link to it in a little while.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leatherface
Member # 175

Cheers Pants, I'd be interested to read that thread and find out what people on OTF think of him.
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leatherface - apologies, I've checked back and Houllebecq didn't get his own thread exactly. But there was quite a bit of discussion about his work on pages 2-3 of the 'current reading' thread. However, I see that you actually posted a few things up on those pages yourself, so you obviously knew about that.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
don't like him. atomised was boring and joyless. life goes on.
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Murray Mexted
Member # 707

- posted      Profile for Murray Mexted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He lives somewhere down the country in Ireland.
Posts: 8483 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, very much out of the way. He has not done much since aside drinking himself into oblivions.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leatherface
Member # 175

Yeah, I know that he lives in Ireland. Which part, out of interest? I'd be interested to know if the local paper in that area had picked up on the minor celebrity in their midst.

Rou d'ouro, Atomised is a fantastic book. I admit it's not exactly a cheerful read, but you can't deny that he's an incredible writer. You name me another modern writer who'se pulled off something like that and Platform with such panache.

This has got some pretty good articles about him - scroll down for 'Presse Anglophone'.

Murray Mexted
Member # 707

- posted      Profile for Murray Mexted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere in deepest Munster. There are rumours that he's residing among a small island community off the coast of County Cork.
Posts: 8483 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, I know that he lives in Ireland. Which part, out of interest?
Bere Island, in Bantry Bay. A truly lovely part of the world.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although, casting my mind back to my visit some twelve years ago, the hedgerows contain more abandoned rusted-out Datsuns than you might consider aesthetically optimal.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Murray Mexted
Member # 707

The west of the county is one of the few good things about Cork.

Durras is particularly picturesque. I spent the summer of 1984 there, aged eight, watching the European Championships on a small black and white TV.

Memories, memories . . .

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC