This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Alasdair Gray

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alasdair Gray
gyp
Member # 963

- posted      Profile for gyp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that there would have been a thread on him by now but I couldn't find one using the search. I've just finished 1982 Janine and was deeply impressed. After the first chapter I was wondering how he could sustain the narrator's fantasies for the duration of the novel but as things went along reality intruded more and more. It's full of typographical innovations (which I'm guessing Irvine Welsh was 'inspired' by when writing Filth) and is one of the few books that have been described to me as 'challenging' that I enjoyed as well as was impressed by.

I want to end with some sort of question to avoid a nil thread, but I guess I'll just hope that someone has something interesting to say... (shuffles off awkwardly)

(Edited to rectify mind-blowingly embarrassing mis-titling.)

[ 08.10.2004, 21:24: Message edited by: gyp ]

Posts: 439 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been meaning to start a thread on Alasdair Gray for ages. Lanark is one of the most astonishing books I've ever read, and I've just started (ahem) 1982, Janine, which is just perfect so far. All the Flann O'Brien fans on the board should would dig Lanark, I reckon; it's in a similar vein to At Swim two Birds and The Third Policemen, only with a more visionary / philosophical tone.

But I won't have anything interesting to say until another time, when I've not just returned from the pub and it's not just gone midnight.

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willie1Foot
Member # 18

- posted      Profile for Willie1Foot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had Lanark for at least 10 years and I've not been able to finish it yet, despite several attempts. What am I missing?

I find it incredibly slow.

Posts: 3221 | From: the shores of Botany Bay | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erskine Bridges
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Erskine Bridges     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you Willie. I eventually gave up, the will to read draining out of me until I just tossed it. I haven't been tempted by anything else of his.

[ 14.10.2004, 17:33: Message edited by: Erskine Bridges ]

Posts: 911 | From: Near Paisley | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just finished, and thoroughly enjoyed, Lanark. Where do I go next?
Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just finished, and thoroughly enjoyed, Poor Things - you could go there.

It's a very different novel to Lanark, but recognisable throughout as Gray's endlessly surprising work: a quicker read but with no less depth or imagination. Loads of fascinating stuff about gender roles in/and Victorian Britain.

I don't want to say anything about it, cause if I give you any spoilers it might feel like I'm reading over your shoulder.

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers.
Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Lanark, but can't really see the Flann O'Brien similarities. O'Brien's a much more humorous writer, and is engaged in much more postmodern tricksiness - all his stuff is as much about the limitations of novel form, as anything else, whereas Lanark seems a really imaginative extension of those limitations...
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

The Epilogue was a bit Flann O'Brien-ish.
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, yeah. D'you know, I'd actually forgotten about that...
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puggie Winnings
Member # 32

- posted      Profile for Puggie Winnings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alasdair Gray's blog can be found here.
Posts: 1119 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC