This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Stan Collymore: "Tackling My Demons" (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stan Collymore: "Tackling My Demons"
Murray Mexted
Member # 707

- posted      Profile for Murray Mexted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Halfway through this at the moment. Very, very entertaining. Some great yarns. I'm currently at the bit where Steve Harkness gets excoriated over several pages for racially abusing Collymore during an Aston Villa-Liverpool match in 1997. "At least my mother didn't sleep with a coon," Harkness sneers. Collymore calls him "a fucking neanderthal from Carlisle with a very, very small brain".

Gareth Southgate and Steve McManaman don't come out of it well either. McManaman is apparently a "backstabber" who, by the sound of things, played poor Robbie Fowler like a fiddle in the mid-1990s.

Really looking forward to the rest of it.

Posts: 8483 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loose Cannon ?
Member # 642

- posted      Profile for Loose Cannon ?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell us the bit about beating up Ulrika when you get to it. That will test his spin on the world.
Posts: 1904 | From: a grassy knoll | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was on the radio last night was Stan. He got a few calls regarding the episode and to his credit did not shirk or make excuses.
Although i do not condone his actions, going by his explanations (if they are correct) i can imagine alot of blokes flippin.

He does come across as a nice bloke and a pretty intelligent guy. He blames most of his problems on depression and being unable to handle the trappings of wealth and stardom.

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was reading it earlier. it's great. i initially assumed "tackling my demons" must be a reference to his personal mental problems, but while there is plenty about borderline personality disorder and his troubled childhood, most of the book is a series of brutal two-footed tackles on his vast range of enemies who he has labelled "demons", including john "the greatest prick i've ever met in my life" gregory, who he makes look like an utter cunt.

he tells the story of a pre-season game just after he'd joined liverpool when he swore at robbie fowler for selfishly shooting when he should have squared it, and fowler told him to fuck off. so they didn't speak for the next two years. he still says fowler is the greatest player he's ever played with though, better than shearer, owen or any of them.

he's also slept with thousands of women but complains "what i wanted was intimacy, someone i could cook dinner with." nevertheless he understands that what readers want is sleazy details so he obliges with plenty, threesomes with kirsty gallagher etc. i haven't got to the dogging chapter yet.

we've just interviewed roy evans about his recently released book, and while we made no mention of stan (whose book reveals he loudly shagged evans' 18 year old daughter the night of the 1996 fa cup final while evans slept in the room next door), evans interrupted us when we were thanking him at the end to say "it's a football book, it's not a kiss and tell book, it's just about football and i think that's the most important thing."

anyway i'm really enjoying the collymore book.

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard some of the revelations in the book.

Apart from the envy inducing romp-s with Gallagher (threesome) Davina Mcall etc, he tells a story about the slackness at liverpool and how barnes and Rush ran the team.

Aparently he has major rants against Gregory and his coach at walsal who he saw having a heart attack on the pitch and remarked that it was like divine intervention.

Can you send it when you have finished Gacia?

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Murray Mexted
Member # 707

- posted      Profile for Murray Mexted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finished it last night. There's no happy ending. In the final chapter he sounds as fucked up as he's ever been.

He doesn't weasel out of the Ulrika Jonsson thing. He says they were in Paris trying to save their relationship, but she then went on the piss, and ended up in a Scottish pub pulling pints behind the bar for the Tartan Army. He wanted her to come with him somewhere quiet and talk. She kept refusing. Eventually she told him to fuck off. He threw a punch at her and knocked her over. He says the stories about him hitting her twice or more, kicking her in the head, are bollocks. A few weeks later they were shagging again. He kept an audio diary that summer which is reproduced in full in the book. It's strange stuff.

As for the chapter about dogging, he sounds like he was bored out of his tree more than anything else, cruising up to these car parks in the middle of the night, a big McDonald's takeaway in his lap, sitting there stuffing his face, watching his in-car TV, and waiting for other cars to pull in.

The Walsall fitness coach he hated was a guy called Ray Train, "a horror of a human being" who physically and psychologically victimised him and humiliated him. Train was the reason he left Walsall.

He loves Martin O'Neill, regards him as the best manager he's ever worked for by a mile, and was devastated when O'Neill didn't come in for him after getting the Celtic job.

The stuff about Liverpool's unprofessionalism is hilarious. They'd be on the piss in London within four hours of the final whistle at Anfield. Robbie Williams was allowed to travel on the team bus to a match one week. By the sound of things it's a fucking miracle they even managed to finish third in 1995-1996.

Apparently, Neil Ruddock tore the arms off his FA Cup final white suit in a fit of anger after the match.

[ 22.10.2004, 13:57: Message edited by: Murray Head ]

Posts: 8483 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can join the queue after me TG.
Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'll send it over TG, but first i have to hang on to it until sunday week.
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
had a quick scan of this in Waterstones at lunchtime. aparrently Kirsty Gallagher can do some extraordinary things with chocolate fingers.

[edit: look, it just happened to fall open at that page, OK?]

[ 22.10.2004, 14:43: Message edited by: xxxmumpo ]

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who is Kirsty Gallagher?
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is she:

-

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've just Googled for Ms Gallagher's picture and realised that all this time i've been thinking Stan was on about Channel 5 newsreader Kirsty Young - who i'm sure is a respectable young lady that would never get up to dubious tricks with chocolate fingers.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Murray Mexted
Member # 707

Kirsty Gallacher is one of those people who are exceptionally good-looking, yet seem completely unsexy.

EDIT: "are", not "is"

[ 22.10.2004, 20:25: Message edited by: Murray Head ]

Murray Mexted
Member # 707

There's an extract from the new edition of Robert Pires' autobiography in today's Guardian. It's the dullest load of shite imaginable.
Malcolm X
Member # 45

Am I THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS KIRSTY gALLAGHER AND KIRSTY wARK MIXED UP?

Personally I wouldn't mind spending an evening in the company with either playing scrabble and that.

I would Ask Kirsty the younger first as once we are relaxed, give her my number to ring Ms Wark and invite her round for a spot of "roasting"

for mottie mottie
http://www.tccandler.com/talent_file_kirsty_gallagher.htm

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC