This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Pick your five true classics (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Pick your five true classics
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Last time we did this The Third Policeman was on mine, I remember. Going to have to give this some more thought.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say I read 100 pages of Svejk and then thought, well, this is all fine and dandy, but I've got the idea now. A bit like Aberystwyth Mon Amour. It's probably just me.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So many great books mentioned on here (One Hundred Years of Solitude, The Great Gatsby and Money all make my list). Of stuff that hasnít been mentioned yet, Iíd say:

American Pastoral Ė Philip Roth
Underworld Ė Don De Lillo
The Unbearable Lightness of Being Ė Milan Kundera
Disgrace - JM Coetzee
Brighton Rock - Graham Greene
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
Hangover Square - Patrick Hamilton
Ravelstein - Saul Bellow
Unless Ė Carol Shields
The Line of Beauty - Alan Hollinghurst
Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

More than five, I know, but thatís impossible innit?

Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don Quixote
The Wind in the Willows
The Third Policeman
Candide
The Code of the Woosters

Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The 7th Baron Bartok
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for The 7th Baron Bartok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crime and Punishment - Fyodor M. Dostoyevskiy
The Catcher in the Rye - J D Salinger
Effi Briest - Theodor Fontane
The Magic Mountain - Thomas Mann
Lucky Jim - Kingsley Amis

Posts: 4840 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan Grytviken
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Stan Grytviken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume we're talking favourites.

A Month in the Country
The Grass is Singing
LotR
Alice Through the Looking Glass

Posts: 2401 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't read enough, but for the purposes of this list I'll assume we're talking about books that are classics or that we think deserve to be classics.

My Top 5
Great Gatsby - FSF
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
This Side of Paradise - FSF
Heart of Darkness - Joe Conrad
The Stranger - Camus

Others receiving votes:
On the Road - Keroac
A River Runs Through It - Norman MacLean
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - P.K. Dick
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - D. Adams
Trainspotting - Welsh

Assorted non-novels that I think are astounding:
Walden - Thorough
Varieties of Religious Experience - William James
Hamlet - Bill
Beowulf

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oolon Colluphid LLB
Member # 123

- posted      Profile for Oolon Colluphid LLB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes to poetry, would it be okay to have the collected works of a particular poet or must it be a single poem?

I'm going to have to go and think about this...

Posts: 3194 | From: a Distance' is a rubbish song | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
that we think deserve to be classics.
This was my approach. Some of them are actually, just not in most countries.
Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Almost Transparent Blue - Ryu Murakami
Oh, hobbes, what's "the other Murakami" like? Naturally being such a Haruki Murakami completist, I've noticed Ryu's books on the shelves, but I have seen him compared unfavourably by some critics, who seem to group him in with the "Asia Extreme" genre that Haruki is so much not a part of.
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reeds approach is good

Oolon, I didnít have any rules in mind really so there arenít any, almost. List whatever five you feel are essential in your private library.

Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
what's his name, the number 10....
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for what's his name, the number 10....     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
The Lord of the Rings - JRR
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - Joyce
Wuthering Heights - Bronte
Crime and Punishment - Dostoevsky

[ 10.02.2005, 21:13: Message edited by: The Supergrass ]

Posts: 4145 | From: acts of manual sexual altruism | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a.b.fox
Member # 809

- posted      Profile for a.b.fox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ginger Man
The Moon & Sixpence
Journey to the End of the Night
The Complete Saki
Moominpapa at Sea

And, yes, 100 Yearsblahblahblah really is bollocks. The only book I've ever actually flung out of my hand rather than just put down. Perhaps someone could start a thread on the five most over-rated piles of literary shite.

[ 10.02.2005, 21:15: Message edited by: a.b.fox ]

Posts: 315 | From: success city, arizona | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a.b.fox
Member # 809

- posted      Profile for a.b.fox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...have you read a hundredyearsofmeeermeeermeermer ...its reeeeally goooooood... ..have you heard the mermermermer socialcluuuub?...they're reaeeeeellygooooood...
Posts: 315 | From: success city, arizona | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
what's his name, the number 10....
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for what's his name, the number 10....     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Give us a complete list of things we're allowed like, would you ab?
Posts: 4145 | From: acts of manual sexual altruism | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC