This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Pick your five true classics (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Pick your five true classics
a.b.fox
Member # 809

- posted      Profile for a.b.fox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cats
flowers
crisp winter mornings
kenneth williams
pipe smoke
freshly painted girls' nails
the smell of a hairdressers' shop
sparklers
star nosed moles
rockpools

Posts: 315 | From: success city, arizona | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
what's his name, the number 10....
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for what's his name, the number 10....     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<scribbling furiously>
Posts: 4145 | From: acts of manual sexual altruism | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huckleberry Finn - Twain
The Plague - Camus
Slaughterhouse-Five - Vonnegut
Underworld - DeLillo
The Book of Laughter and Forgetting - Kundera

others:
American Tabloid - Ellroy
Infinite Jest - Wallace
Operation Shylock - Roth

non-fiction:

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
Civil Disobedience - Thoreau
Souls of Black Folk - DuBois
Sloching Towards Bethlehem - Didion
Salvador - Didion
Armies of the Night - Mailer

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
World Cup Willie
Member # 905

- posted      Profile for World Cup Willie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Seriously, it's an excellent book. Obsessive, powerful, violent, gripping and mad. I anticipated some piece of clever-clever girly slush and was stunned by what I found.
Purves, you've talked me into it. My wife has a copy. Will start tonight.
Posts: 1562 | From: the axis of pain-pleasure to the arc of desire | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And, yes, 100 Yearsblahblahblah really is bollocks. The only book I've ever actually flung out of my hand rather than just put down. Perhaps someone could start a thread on the five most over-rated piles of literary shite.

You're the wrongest man in the history of being wrong, a.b.

You just have to get past the fact that all the characters have the same name.

Current top five;
1. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez <...chin trembling, defiantly...>.
2. Immortality - Milan Kundera
3. Go Tell It On The Mountain - James Baldwin
4. The Old Man And The Sea - Ernest Hemingway
5. At Swim-Two-Birds - Flann O'Brien

[ 11.02.2005, 10:29: Message edited by: El Toro Solo ]

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don Quixote - Cervantes
Unbearable Lightness of Being - Kundera
History of the Siege of Lisbon - Saramago
Satanic Verses - Rushdie
1984 - Orwell

For what it's worth, 100 Years of Solitude would be in my top 20.

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, hobbes, what's "the other Murakami" like?
I've only read "Almost Transparent Blue" but I loved it. It's very dark and similar in style and concept to Brett Eason Ellis' "Less Than Zero" and "Twelve" the author of which escapes me. Now I love that kind of thing, really dark, disaffected non-stories (like snapshots if you like.) Not everyone does though.
I've got "Coin Locker Babies" on order which sounds great and I'm going for "In the Miso Soup" afterwards.
I also really like Banana Yoshimoto's stuff although it's not terribly good - just quite emotive and I've just started reading Kenzaburo Oe's "The Silent Cry" which earned him the Nobel Prize for Literature.

(edit for extra bit)

It was Ryu Murakami who wrote the screenplay for "Audition" wasn't it?

[ 11.02.2005, 13:05: Message edited by: hobbes the tiger ]

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oolon Colluphid LLB
Member # 123

- posted      Profile for Oolon Colluphid LLB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing as most people are listing their 5 favourite novels, I think that's what I'll do as well, otherwise it gets too complicated.

Clayhanger - Arnold Bennett
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - Joyce
Vanity Fair- Thackeray
The Trial - Kafka
Huckleberry Finn - Twain

Posts: 3194 | From: a Distance' is a rubbish song | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot about The Death of Artemio Cruz by Carlos Fuentes. It's excellent, even more so if you have a rough idea of Mexican history.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ale
Member # 107

- posted      Profile for ale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shadowland-Peter Straub
Trainspotting-Irvine Welsh
Red Riding Quartet-David Peace
Pied Pipers Poison-Christopher Wallace
Good As Gold-Joseph Heller

Posts: 3315 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't do a top five, just going to list some faves of mine that haven't been mentioned yet:

Molesworth- Geoffrey Willans & Ronald Searle
The Leopard- Giuseppe Tomasso di Lampedusa
The Ides of March- Thornton Wilder
Fathers and Sons- Ivan Turgenev
The Name of the Rose- Umberto Eco
Q- Luther Blissett
The Poisonwood Bible- Barbara Kingsolver
Christie Malry's Own Double Entry- B.S Johnson

Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know what, having learned that OTF is a place for good advice, this thread is turning out to do good in reminding me about books I should read.

quote:
Q- Luther Blissett
Heck, I forgot to order this.
Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should, it's excellent. It's hard not to suspect the hand of a ghostwriter at one or two points, but still.
Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ghostwriter bit is exactly what I believe I read the other time YATR.

I've ordered it now.

If you disregard Milan players, I think the greatest football hero of mine must be Luther Blisset. Even above Swedish or Croatian players.

Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<standing ovation>
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC