This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Pick your five true classics (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Pick your five true classics
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Five?

Anyway, here's my five in vague order

1. The Sandman
2. Watchmen
3. Preacher (just reread this for the third time, and it's still unputdownable - I was reading it till 4am one night)
4. In The Shadow Of No Towers
5. Transmetropolitan (I'm going to have to reread this again in honour of HST)

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
graphic novels? trying to pick five that hang together as complete narratives, rather than collections of individual comics (which some of the are):

5. Fungus the Bogeyman
4. Persepolis (I & II)
3. When the Wind Blows
2. Arkham Asylum
1. Watchmen

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Sandman' and 'The Invisibles' too if i'm going for an entire series.

'Preacher' creaks under the weight of its own pretentiousness.

[ 24.02.2005, 20:19: Message edited by: ex mumpo ]

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You what? It's anything but pretentious. I mean you could argue that The Sandman or The Invisibles are pretentious, but Preacher? What exactly are its pretensions?
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

it started promisingly, and the first couple of story arcs that introduced the major players were very good. but 75 episodes stretched the plot too thin, and the more it wore on the more Garth Ennis seemed to see himself as kind of hybrid of Tarantino and the spirit of Bill Hicks, unfortunately without the flair or real genius of either.

actually rather than 'pretentiousness' i should have said 'pretentions', pretentions to be an epic critique of American paranoia rather than a supernatural six-shooters and arse-faced teenage depressives pulp shocker.

Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

I don't see that at all - for me it was an incredibly well written (and drawn) pulp shocker. It's what the Da Vinci Code could have been if someone with talent had written it.
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

Steve Dillon did a sterling job. fastest pen in the west.
Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the original list idea (partly becasue Ghost World is the only graphic novel I've read, so constructing a top five would be quite difficult)

1. Catch-22 - Heller
2. The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Kundera
3. The Reader - Schlink
4. Brave New world - Huxley
5. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovichp - Solzehnitsyn

Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axel
Member # 724

- posted      Profile for axel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'How does it compare to the telly series?'

Very basically it's the same story, but as you'd expect there's a lot more words and depth to the characters. A bit pricey, but you have to read them if you liked the TV version.

Posts: 923 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, World Cup Willie, how did you get on with Wuthering Heights?
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a very strange reaction to Sandman. I read the first one and thought "Wow, this is fantastic, but I really don't feel like I care about how the story turns out enough to buy all the subsequent editions."

I find that I've started to have that reaction to a number of very high quality works, especialy graphic novels because of their cost The Authority, for example, didn't grab me.

I must confess there are two works on my list that I haven't finished. I know already that Maus kicks ass, even though I'm only about 25% of the way through it. Likewise, I'm slowly working through "From Hell" right now. I'm really committed to it, reading every word of Alan Moore's copious footnotes. It really is a monumental achievement in the medium. I'm learning all sorts of things about London and Hawksmoore and Free Masonry. It's a lot different from the film. I'm about 150 pages in and nobody's been killed yet.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Text Only

The Way of All Flesh Samuel Butler
Emma Jane Austen
Vanity Fair William M Thackeray
Kim Rudyard Kipling
Huckleberry Finn Mark Twain

Graphic Novels

Maus Art Spiegelman
The Lindisfarne Gospels Anon
In the Shadow of No Towers Art Spiegelman
Pickwick Papers Charles Dickens
Berlin: City of Stones Jason Lutes

[ 25.02.2005, 19:22: Message edited by: Amor de Cosmos ]

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

Funnily enough Reed, almost everyone says that the first volume of The Sandman is the worst, and you should read after the others. I don't agree, but there you go. That said, it's not for everyone - some people find it too goth, some find it too arty-farty. Me, I love it, because like all epic it's all about storytelling.
S. aureus
Member # 949

- posted      Profile for S. aureus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that the first volume of The Sandman was inferior to the others - not that it was bad, but it seemed like Gaiman had not really settled down into what he wanted to do with the series.
I suppose that I'd say read Season of Mists or The Dolls House first, then go from the beginning. It tops my list of favorite graphic novels. (the others being Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, Maus and V for Vendetta, probably in that order).

[ 28.02.2005, 18:52: Message edited by: S. aureus ]

Posts: 2324 | From: Pharmageddon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King On The Rye
Member # 978

- posted      Profile for King On The Rye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big Sleep
In Cold Blood
Great Expectations
Brighton Rock
Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail
The Glory Game
The New Journalism (a collection)

Posts: 1161 | From: Peckham | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC