This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » This George Orwell book i've got (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: This George Orwell book i've got
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been going through a bit of a cleaning-out exercise on the book front recently. Well to tell the truth, i've just started to go through a cleaning out exercise. Basically i've got way too many books, they're all over the place, and once i've sorted out a job lot I can prune out properly i'm going to pay a bit of a visit to the charity shop.

That's by the by, anyway, as i've been going through the lot, I came across one I completely forgot I had. It's basically a huge coffee table sized - actually if you put legs on it, you could use it as a bloody coffee table - facsimile of George Orwell's original manuscript for '1984'. On one page is the original mansucript, including crossings out in pencil, pen and what looks like some sort of crayon, with a typed thing on the other page, contaning the full transcript including often lengthy passages, sometimes pages and pages that have been crossed out, and making legible George Orwell's often indecipherable, scrawling spidery handwriting.

It's great actually, and was bought for me as a present when I was a kid by one of my sisters boyfriends who worked as a bookseller, so i've no intention whatsoever of getting rid of it. It says on the front that it was a limited edition published for about a week or so in 1984. I don't know wether that means it's rare or anything, so i've been having a looksee on the web to see if I can spot it anywhere and I can't - admittedly I have only looked on amazon and ebay though.

Do you reckon it's worth owt. Like I say i've no intention of selling it 'cause I like it, and I have a policy to never sell presents anyway, I just wouldn't mind knowing to be honest.

One ace thing you discover by the way is that GO had about four goes at the opening iconic sentence, you should see the crossing out he did there, it's mad.

[ 18.05.2005, 12:43: Message edited by: Matt P ]

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimey. Sounds truly incredible.

I'll give you two pounds cash or four in exchange.

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh.

That just gave me a proper flash-back, that.

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming it's the same edition as on Amazon, you can get it for between 10 and 124 second hand. Abebooks, however, has it for up to $750.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Abebooks link Amazon link
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

Ah, that's definately the feller. Cheers GY.

Odd though, I couldn't find it when I typed 'George Orwell Facsimile 1984' into amazon, came up unlisted; that nowhere near as odd as the price differences there though. What kind of auctioneer is that? Do I hear ten? Do I hear one-hundered and twenty?

No intention of selling it, any road.

Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

I think the expensive one is a limited edition, luxury binding version.
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

If you ever do want to sell it, let me know.
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

I think it's the luxury one, i've got actually. It's huge, lushly bound, and initially came in it's own box.

Blimey, anyway.

I honestly couldn't sell it to be honest with you though.

My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"One ace thing you discover by the way is that GO had about four goes at the opening iconic sentence, you should see the crossing out he did there, it's mad"

no kidding.

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

Heh, yeah.

That's what the whole mansucript looks like as it goes.

It is right fascinating, actually.

Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

Here's a description of the $150 one: First trade edition. Folio. Full crimson cloth, lettered in gilt on the spine. Dust jacket. Publisher's board slipcase.

Here's a description of the $750 one: Limited edition, one of 275 copies quarterbound in navy Niger goat over marbled boards, from a total edition of 350 copies. Lettered in gilt on the spine. Folio. Publisher's cloth slipcase. Fine.

Mat Pereira
Member # 43

Ah yeah, it's the first one i've got.

"navy Niger goat"

What? A fucking goat? Jesus.

The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tad racist that, no?
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

God knows, what's a Niger goat?

And who forced it join the fucking Navy?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC