This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » H.P Lovecraft vs. Edgar Alan Poe (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: H.P Lovecraft vs. Edgar Alan Poe
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I donít know why I keep confusing the two. I always have.

I havenít read anything more than The Raven, of course, and

quote:
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
Yet with strange aeons, even Death may die

I found the last one haunting. Itís a weird one and I never forgot it.

Should I get busy and pick up some of their works?

Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And who does horror best? I know I'll get slaughtered now, but some of Stephen Kings book are great.
Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can spot Lovecraft a mile off - just look out for "blasphemous" and "necrotic" in the text. Having said that, I love his short stories. Atmospheric and hysteric.
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lovecraft was absolutely fucking nuts, hated foreigners, women, dogs, cats, men, children, in fact, everything and everyone. His best story is the one about the guy whose grandad shagged the ape. And his Cthulu stuff gets a bit dull and abstract after a while. His earlier, schlocky stuff is the best, I reckon. Metallica liked him, though.

Steven King's The Shining is the only book I've ever read that seriously (and I mean, seriously) gave me the creeps - it was the bit where the kid's trying to get inside and the bushes shaped like animals are after him. That was real sleep with the light on time. When I first read it I was living on my own in a three-bed house which creaked like a tea-clipper in a gale and had mysterious plumbing noises at all hours which did little for my sanity, I can tell you.

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read Lovecraft, but Poe is great. Most of it isn't really horror but more, I don't know, gothic intrigue. He pretty much invented detective fiction with his Auguste Dupin stories (most famously The Murders in the Rue Morgue, but it's fascinating how different Dupin is from Holmes or Poirot.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lovecraft was absolutely fucking nuts, hated foreigners, women, dogs, cats, men, children, in fact, everything and everyone.
Must be why Mark E Smith's such a fan.

I've never read anything by HP Lovecraft, but I'd like to - which are his best stories?

Poe's excellent, ganja. You should pick up whichever selected short stories collection's going for the Swedish equivalent of a quid and read The Masque of the Red Death first (that one's my favourite).

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've never read anything by HP Lovecraft, but I'd like to - which are his best stories?
Personally, I'd recommend:

The Colour Out Of Space
The Dunwich Horror
Pickman's Model
The Shadow Over Innsmouth

You can read most of them online at this website.

[ 25.05.2005, 15:39: Message edited by: Crusoe ]

Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers, Crusoe!
Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

Cheers for the suggestions, but I think I'll wait a couple of weeks now before picking up some copies. Wednesday made the world look dark enough.
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'The Dunwich Horror' was the first Lovecraft I ever read and it might just as well have been the last. He's good, but he was an obsessive and wrote like a man exorcising the same demon over and over aond over again.

Poe on the other hand varied his game a bit more. And his prose style is better.

Try MR James too ganja, especially 'Casting the Runes', 'Count Magnus' and 'Oh Whistle and I'll Come To You, May lad'.

And on the macarbe short story front 'Green Tea' by Sheridan le Fanu, 'The Dancing Partner' by Jerome K Jerome, 'The Monkey's Paw' by WW Jacobs, 'Afterwards' by Edith Wharton, 'The Judges House' by Bram Stoker and 'Kiss Me Again Stranger' by Daphne Du Maurier.

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm quite the HPL fan myself. You won't suprised to hear that French nutter Houellebequ is a huge fan and even wrote a biography of the man.

If you have to read one novel, read "The color out of the sky" wich is the scariest thing I've read, the sense of creeping horror and madness is impressive.

"Shadow over Insmouth" is class too, Chtulhy mythos classic.

Quite different in style, "Moutains of madness" is also a classic. Here the nebulous descriptions of alien gods are swapped with very precise, scientific analysis of ancient creaturs who onle lived in Antartica.

Re Metallica, it was their first bassist, Burton, who was the big fan and contributed a couple of tracks.

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a couple of the links to the stories, I mentioned above too. If you're interested.

'The Dancing Partner' by Jerome K Jerome

'Casting The Runes' by MR James

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

Oh, you'll have to scroll down for the MR James one. It seems to have a fairly good list of them. 'Casting The Runes' is his best though.
ale
Member # 107

- posted      Profile for ale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lovecrafts short stories are far and away above anything that was being published at the time(1920s/30s USA) ..but a lot of his reputation has been dulled by repetition and parody ....

at his best though he can stand the test of time better than Poe...personally I feel Poes reputation is based on a more mainstream acceptance rather than appreciation of writing ability but isnt this always the case in literature...

other than Lovecraft stories highlighted would also bring to attention one that resonates about a crazed violinist in his garrett playing tunes not of this world literally (title escapes me)

Posts: 3315 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

The Music of Erich Zann.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC