This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Adventure books

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adventure books
noj
Member # 753

- posted      Profile for noj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a little nipper I used to love these. The sort of books where you had to make choices and follow the book through; “You come to a crossroads; if you decide to turn left go to page 64, for right travel to page 98”. I seem to remember the best ones were either written by someone called Ian Livingstone, or Steve someone (I have Waddington in my head, although he may have been in the Beloved). I even ate Weetabix for about a month to get a free one once; I hated the stuff, but obviously had to eat it all as I had worked on my mum for about 3 months to convince her to buy it for me.

Are they still around at all? I suspect they may well have been outmoded by superior technology. After a while I grew out of them/became bored, a fact I am very happy about as clearly the next obvious step for me would have been rolling bloody 32 sided dice to see if my Orc could beat the Dark Lord’s legions of ghouls. My brother was into that sort of stuff though, and I was well out of it.

Posts: 2740 | From: crisp country | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mitch
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Mitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Jackson wasn't it?

I never bothered with any of the 32-sided dice business, but I used to love those books. I remember "Deathtrap Dungeon" was the one everyone seemed to like.

Posts: 1949 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noj
Member # 753

- posted      Profile for noj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mitch, yes it was Steve Jackson now you come to mention it. I seem to remember that they (Jackson and Livingstone) did a few books together too, kind of the 'dream team' of the Adventure books business.
Posts: 2740 | From: crisp country | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Citadel of Chaos, The Forest of Doom, The City Of Thieves, The Island Of The Lizard King.

All good fun. I too bailed out before the 32 sided dice.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they were great books, weren't they. i remember my favourite was 'Bolton Arndale'.

how many different numbers of sides can a dice have, assuming each side has an identical chance of being rolled?

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the maximum you used to get was a D20 (20 sided dice). D100 (hundred sided dice) 2 ten sided diced, numbered 9-0, 0 representing 10 or 0) rolled together and the two digits coming out as the number. So, a 3 and a 7 = 37. a 0 and a 5 = 5. Two 0s = 100.

However, 2d10 was 2 ten sided dice rolled and added together so 5 and 8 = 13.

Guess who was into TSR and Warhammer?

[ 07.09.2005, 14:14: Message edited by: Eggchaser ]

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks, Eggchaser. i must admit i was expecting some juicy mathematical theorems from OTF's number crunchers, though.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S. aureus
Member # 949

- posted      Profile for S. aureus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the risk of losing any respect that I might have had, wasn't the 10-sided die actually a 20-sided die but you only paid attention to the last digit?
Posts: 2324 | From: Pharmageddon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guess who was into Cyberpunk and Call of Chtullhu...Still got my old gear in a box, good fun it was...
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll admit to having got into a Dungeons & Dragons cabal with the school heavy metal fans. I wasn't strictly speaking an only child, but the age differences to ny half siblings are such that I may as well have been.

As well as the D10, two of which made th D100 and th D20 there was also the D12, made up of pentagon-shaped faces. Dodecahedron?

And it was Warlock of Firetop Mountain that acted as the gateway drug for me. Starship Traveller was crap and Deathtrap Dungeon was fantastic. As I recall it was a failed attempt to create a Deathtrap Dungeon game for the playstation that saw off Ian Liivngstone's Eidos company. Which was a shame as they were sited two floors below my office in Wimbledon and I'd regularly find myself sharing a lift with the likes of Alan Shearer or Les Fredinand. On one memorable occasion I shared a lift with an absolute valkyrie dressed like Brigitte Nielsen in Red Sonja who'd come along to do some promo shots for some new game or other. That was fun.

Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More goth/metal crossover. Today's OTF theme.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, where?
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had tons of those books. In addition to the D&D books, I also had ones with DC Comics characters and a few with Indiana Jones.

I was into the dice-and-paper D&D before the books. I got tired of D&D in about sixth grade and wanted my friends to play other RPG's with me like TOON and Villians & Vigilantes, but all they wanted to play was D&D, so I drifted out of it. Those guys are still my friends, however.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My brother was into that sort of stuff though

I'd like to point out that he means his other brother.

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC