This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Unlikable narrators (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Unlikable narrators
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I in The Bell Jar
I in Brideshead Revisited
I in The Dice Man
I in Earthly Powers
I in Lolita
I in Confessions of an Opium Eater

Come to think of it, I can't think of a single likable narrator in any book I've ever read. There are neutral ones used as instruments for introducing the narrative, such as I in Wuthering Heights, but beyond that the best I can come up with is I in The Great Gatsby who is little more than an empty vessel.

Where is the great "Gee, look at what a swell guy I am" novel?

Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The various "I"s in Murakami books tend to be fairly likeable (if often also a bit odd), although can often also be accused of being a Gatsby-style empty vessel. Then again, Murakami was a huge Fitzgerald fan (made a special trip to see his grave and all), so I suspect there was quite an influence there.

btw Mention of The Dice Man makes me think we should have a "books you were most disappointed by" thread. I sooo loved the idea behind the book, and yet the book was pretty tedious really. Not terrible, but more than a bit dull in places. Which given the premise is quite sad really.

[ 08.09.2005, 22:41: Message edited by: Jimski ]

Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "I" in most of the Irvine Welsh stories I've read, which is largely why I grew tired of reading them.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puggie Winnings
Member # 32

- posted      Profile for Puggie Winnings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bertie Wooster and Dr. Watson are both good chaps.

Edit- "I" in Confessions of a Justified Sinner is another unpleasant one.

[ 09.09.2005, 00:25: Message edited by: Puggie Winnings ]

Posts: 1119 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Nick Carraway in The Great Gatsby's got a bit to him, to be honest - his simultaneous attraction to, and disgust with, that rich New York scene; his enigmatic relationship with Jordan Baker, his desolate appearance at the funeral. A very empathetic character, I reckon.

As for dislikable characters, well you've got the central characters in most Nick Hornby novels for a kick-off, especially the guy in High Fidelity - an unjustifiably arrogant, childish, small-minded, self-centred prick. And we're supposed to buy this bloke seducing country singers?

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not all narrators are "I"s, you know. There's some very likeable third person narrators about.

But sticking to the first person, Vernon God Little is pretty likeable most of the time, as is Pi.

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puggie Winnings
Member # 32

- posted      Profile for Puggie Winnings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The third person narrator in Lord Jim is a long-winded bore.
Posts: 1119 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rather fond of the I in The Debt To Pleasure even though he's a nasty piece of work.
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Come to think of it, I can't think of a single likable narrator in any book I've ever read.
Bertram Wilberforce Wooster?
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jane Eyre's quite likable. So Esther whatsername in 'Bleak House'. And David Copperfield, he's fairly likable. And Marian whatsername in 'The Woman in White' is massively good natured. And the narrator in 'Straight is the Gate' by Andre Gide seems a good enough bloke, bit fucked up, but resolutely a good egg.

I'll think of some more later.

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hastings is another good chap. But dull.

I'm currently quite liking Ned Kelly, as it goes.

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll hazard Philip Marlowe as sort of likeable, and - as Puves has touched upon in that other thread - Alex in A Clockwork Orange.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The unnamed I in Rebecca is compellingly likeable - the reader gets drawn into her worldview despite him/herself. When you analyse it afterwards, you realise there's a lot she can be criticised for, or is she just her own worst enemy?
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otto Katz
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Otto Katz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The narrator in Money by Martin Amis is pretty fucked up.

Amis goes out of his way to make him sound disgusting though. It's kind of the whole premise.

Posts: 2909 | From: the examining of the entrails of sacrificial geese | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick Bateman isn't very nice. <cough>
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC