This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Prison

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Prison
Smokin Joe Harper
Member # 473

- posted      Profile for Smokin Joe Harper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone recommend a bit of non-fiction prison writing?

Something about what it's like to be in prison for a lengthy spell. Preferrably British prison and not written by a well known/celebrity criminal.

And they need to be guilty, none of this miscarraige of justice bollocks.

Posts: 865 | From: Forty yards out, in the Parc des Princes, rifled into the top corner | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, 'Our Lady Of The Flowers' was written by Jean Genet when he was actually in prison. He wrote it on loo paper which he hid under his bed, or something. It's hard going though. Like all of his novels. I lasted about twenty pages.

There's 'Innocent Villian' a book that for some reason or other was knocking around our house when I was a teenager. About a career criminal who got banged up for a long time for a crime he was framed for. Well, he says anyway. I can't remember either the name of the bloke, Patrick something beginning with M for a surname, or what he did, or jack else, actually. I read it when I was off school with a cold once.

Erm, that's not much to go on is it? I'm sure there's an obvious one that i'm missing.

Oh yeah, 'Borstal Boy' by Brendan Behan, of course, now that deffo rocks. Get that.

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the one. Borstal Boy.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's always the books by Erwin James, that bloke who used to write for theguardian.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smokin Joe Harper
Member # 473

- posted      Profile for Smokin Joe Harper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers chaps, I'd forgotten about that Erwin James bloke GO, I think he could be just the ticket.
Posts: 865 | From: Forty yards out, in the Parc des Princes, rifled into the top corner | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axel
Member # 724

- posted      Profile for axel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
De Profundis by Oscar Wilde is a nice bit of light prison-related writing.

'. Suffering is one very long moment. We cannot divide it by seasons. We can only record its moods, and chronicle their return. With us time itself does not progress. It revolves. It seems to circle round one centre of pain. The paralysing immobility of a life every circumstance of which is regulated after an unchangeable pattern, so that we eat and drink and lie down and pray, or kneel at least for prayer, according to the inflexible laws of an iron formula: this immobile quality, that makes each dreadful day in the very minutest detail like its brother, seems to communicate itself to those external forces the very essence of whose existence is ceaseless change. Of seed-time or harvest, of the reapers bending over the corn, or the grape gatherers threading through the vines, of the grass in the orchard made white with broken blossoms or strewn with fallen fruit: of these we know nothing and can know nothing.'

Posts: 923 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC