This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Paul Theroux

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paul Theroux
pishtico pishtico
Member # 154

- posted      Profile for pishtico pishtico     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have picked up blinding light his new novel and in the past I really enjoyed Waldo,Millroy the Magician,hotel Honolulu and his non fiction the great railway bazaar and sailing through China This new book is really fantastic.
Any thoughts on him folks?

Posts: 737 | From: birmingham uk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stylo
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Stylo         Edit/Delete Post 
Travel books are top-notch, fiction is mediocre
Posts: 396 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
obviously
Member # 789

- posted      Profile for obviously     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed that the travel books are great. I've only read one of his fiction books (Saint Jack), thought it was interesting and was willing to read more - anyone got any recommendations or outright no-no's?
Posts: 23 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
he also wrote quite a bit of sci fi, which not being into sci fi i thought was crap

his travel books are immense. the great railway bizzare is, in my eyes the best travel book ever written. riding the iron rooster, was good but felt a bit samey the final 3rd. dark star safari when he goes overland from cairo to capetown is excellent.

has anybody else read 'the kingdom by the sea' he goes around the coast of the uk. bill bryson did the same but theroux is deeper, more intelligent and darker.

sunrise with sea monsters also good

Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
obviously
Member # 789

- posted      Profile for obviously     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I like the occasional bit of science fiction but think Theroux would be stretching it there. Saint Jack was about an ex-pat living in the Far East colonies, so exercised some similar skills to the travel writing, but seemed very obviously influenced by some of Graham Greene's stuff.

Oh, Great Railway Bazaar is fantastic. I bought/read books based off the interlude with Borges in Rio de Janeiro. The love of literature from the pair of them just came shining through. I also have to admit that I took a train journey from London to St Petersburg last year having been influenced by his travel writing...

Posts: 23 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC