This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » A Long Long Way

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Long Long Way
Sir Moses Hill
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Sir Moses Hill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By Sebastian Barry.

I don't look in here as often as before, so sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, and sweet Jaysus, with the glut of Irish now encamped here, it'll be nothing short of disgrace if it hasn't.

Of course, you don't have to be Irish to enjoy this monster of a book, but it helps. Think Birdsong, only better. The descriptions of Flanders more subtle and more powerful. The tragedy of those who survived, or nearly survived, as evident as those who turned green in the first gas attack. Fighting four years and being a pariah at home and in England.

I'm gushing a little having literally just finished it and not remembering a book to have had such an effect on me.

Anyone else read this? What kind of comment/review has it been getting in the Irish press?

[ 16.10.2005, 20:23: Message edited by: Sir Moses Hill ]

Posts: 391 | From: Abingdon | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
those who turned green in the first gas attack
Do you mean physically or politically?
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC