This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » "Arguably the most shocking event in comic book history" (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Arguably the most shocking event in comic book history"
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been holding off on Marvel Zombies, partly because I'm getting my zombie fix from The Walking Dead, and partly because I'm just not a Marvel person, X-Men aside. I'll probably pick it up the TPB once The Walking Dead is, well, dead.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only zombie fix anyone needs is Max Brooks' "World War Z".
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, beyond the fact that a fix by definition needs to be repeated, yes. What I love about The Walking Dead is that it very much takes a World War Z/Zombie Survival Guide approach - I'm certain they were huge influences on Kirkman. It's played very straight (well, compared to Romero, anyway), and there's a lot of thought put into things like survival/battle tactics, the tough choices, and how society as a whole, not just a small group of people, would cope with what is to all intents and purposes the apocalypse.

Did you know they're making World War Z into a movie?

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, hang on, I've read some of the Walking Dead (about ten of them, I think). I thought the name sounded familiar. Yes, you're absolutely right, it's very much grounded in the details of living in that kind of world (although the General Woundwort caricature/mysterious ninja elements are a little bit of a stretch for me).
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My memory failed me, what do you want. I was like "hmmm, was David or Bruce the comic book or the tv show...David's an older name so that must've been the comic."

I plowed through the Marvel graphic novel in 20 minutes at Barnes & Noble. I'd be interested to see the Ultimate Fantastic Four that it spawned from.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jon/juan
Member # 1057

- posted      Profile for jon/juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reckon you should read Marvel Zombies, GY, especially as it's written by The Walking Dead's own Robert Kirkman.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
World War Z was the subject of a massive bidding war between Brad Pitt and Leonardo Di Caprio about a month before the book was even published (Pitt won).

Apparently, main Babylon 5 Dude J. Michael Staczynski has been tapped to write the screenplay. As long as he's not also doing the special effects, this could be quite cool.

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

I'd actually like to see three different films made from it. A fairly straightforward zombie spectacular, a post-war drama that tried to keep some of the allusive, multiperspective narrative style, and a proper cheesy disaster movie like The Swarm or The Towering Inferno.
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had assumed they would do it a bit like "Death of a President".

With Straczynski, though, we may be in for something paced a lot more like one of those Babylon 5 Movies

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC