This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Damned Utd (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Damned Utd
wingco
Member # 93

- posted      Profile for wingco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or even, a movie of the book being made . . .
Posts: 4035 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do I get involved in this collective effort?
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally bought a copy of the book last Sunday, as there'd been none forthcoming in my Christmas sack. I've just finished reading it. Great stuff, although I'm not sure I could read many more books written in that style.

I probably liked it 'cos it's an era that I remember. I liked Leeds United and I liked Brian Clough, and I was fascinated to see them join up, and disappointed when it didn't work. I wonder just how close to real life the book was. Especially the smoking and drinking.

In other news, the use of the word "scalper" really grated...

Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ant259
Member # 1734

- posted      Profile for ant259     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I chortled through the first 150 pages and then, by degrees, began to get bored with it. I found the repetitive style nothing short of irritating, to be honest, though I dare say it will be seen as progressive or something.

As a big football fan I remember the story and all the charcaters involved, and so in general I enjoyed the book, but I won't be lending it to an 24 year-old American footy-loving friend, as he would get lost from the outset.

Posts: 1653 | From: Oviedo | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ant259
Member # 1734

- posted      Profile for ant259     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, was smoking and drinking actually encouraged to that extent?
Posts: 1653 | From: Oviedo | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ant259, I salute your indefatigability. 150 pages?

Still, you saw the light.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The paperback version arrived from Amazon on Friday and I finished it yesterday.

Like GO that was "my" era and seeing tables with Ipswich rarely out of the top four was good for the soul.

The book was spot on with the paranoia and the speed with which chairmen and directors get bored with managers - no matter how successful.

I am not normally one for novels of this style but thought it worked here. I am not sure why Giles is miffed. Clough was protrayed as the failure here; an ego-driven, selfish, paranoid man who ultimately relied for most of his success on a man he treated appallingly.

That differs from memory of the impression given by his media mates at the time - that he had been the wronged party at Leeds.

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ale
Member # 107

- posted      Profile for ale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the bits where Billy Bremner refuses to ingratiate himself with Cloughie are brilliant..
Posts: 3315 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Read this recently. Count me among those who loved it. Though if Peace writes like that every book, as ale says, I reckon that could get wearing.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coulsdon Library
Member # 1691

- posted      Profile for Coulsdon Library     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Read this recently. Count me among those who loved it. Though if Peace writes like that every book, as ale says, I reckon that could get wearing.
I enjoyed it. Peace writes like James Ellroy would if he was brought up on Pontefract cakes rather than inhalers.
Posts: 19 | From: Nirvana, Surrey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibex Trounce
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Ibex Trounce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have just finished this.

Essentially a book about hating your job and refusing to let go of the past...reminded me, oddly, of Alan Clark's Diaries; the same attitude of "I should be running everything" while at the same time making it perfectly clear why he wasn't.

*SPOILER*
Then again it does have a happy ending of sorts; Clough gets his 25K payoff, drives off in the back of the car with his feet up and onwards to Forest.
*SPOILER*

Probably the nearest thing to a happy ending we're likely to get in a Peace book if his next one is anything to go by...

[ 14.05.2007, 15:40: Message edited by: Zoe Zawinul ]

Posts: 1319 | From: helm hard-a-port | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I chortled through the first 150 pages and then, by degrees, began to get bored with it. I found the repetitive style nothing short of irritating, to be honest, though I dare say it will be seen as progressive or something.

Spot on.

Was clough really this crazy? I mean by the end of the book He's completely fucking insane and out of control. And did the whole derby handover thing actually pan out like that?

Just reading the book, and going through the whole leeds references whilst at derby, Why exactly did leeds appoint him?

I mean Why?

Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aiatl: Theyd had "success" with one paranoid, lunatic ex-Sunderland centre forward so they thought they'd try another.
Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to todays observer. Michael Sheen is to play Clough (as i suggested upthread) *considers moving into the casting game*. Kenneth Branagh to play Don Revie!!!!
Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Caved in and ripped through it over the weekend. A huge improvement over his previous work, and everything everyone else has said it is.

Bet you he eventually does The Cursed Forest in a few years time, documenting the 92-93 season.

Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC