This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Damned Utd (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Damned Utd
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As ever, a year or two behind the times, I have just read this (the book, and then the thread). I think the 150 pages comment was spot on. The first half of the book was superb. The potentially irritating repetitious style was quickly eclipsed by the quality of the story, though I found myself myself much more gripped by the pre-Leeds plot than by the Leeds bit. After that half way mark (more or less at the point that things begin to seriously unravel at Derby), it goes nowhere. I mean obviously the ending is not a surprise, and we know what happens, but it's at this point that I started to (a) get irritated by the repetition and staccato verb-free sentences; and (b) really want to know how he pulled himself out of this pit to such a degree that 5 years later he was lifting the European Cup (and of course, knowing that this book wouldn't answer that question)

The other effect it had on me was to make me all nostalgic about when football was better. When the league was up for grabs. When the European Cup was a genuine competition between national champions - when Derby County could play Spartak Trnava in the quarter finals, for fuck's sake.

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Read it, liked it, persuaded non-football fan wife to read it, she did and liked it (and then she subsequently read a Clough biography I've not got round to reading yet).

She'll read my copy of Futebal once I'm done with it.

Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barndoorio
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Barndoorio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to OTF, I loaned this one from the library and enjoyed it alot. Though I was left with a feeling of bewilderment at how either party ever got involved with the other one in the first place.

Still, this is a shameless post to own all six topics on OTF at once... my thoughts are true though.

Carry on.

Posts: 5360 | From: Glorious Taunton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean you borrowed it?

[/smugness]

Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barndoorio
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Barndoorio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, I'm not sure what's wrong with loaned really.

But then I am absolutely shit at English, a fact of which I'm becoming increasingly aware. I contemplated letting Word's paperclip help me write a letter the other day. That's how low I've sunk.

I was writing a rant about the hospital, maybe I'll start a thread in OTW actually.

Posts: 5360 | From: Glorious Taunton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the person who owns it loans it, and the person they loan it to borrows it.

Of course, one of the OTFers who is smarter than I am will come along and prove me wrong and say that your usage is correct.

To that I say: [Razz]

[ 30.07.2007, 03:10: Message edited by: Femme Folle ]

Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

Word's paperclip needs to die.
Barndoorio
Member # 69

What gimmick will they come up with for the next round of Word? What I'd like is a version that can make my writing more interesting. And make it so that I don't find myself automatically skim-reading everything. I blame e-mail for this, I get around 300 mails a day for work, how on earth are you meant to read that many mails?
Femme Folle
Member # 25

You need an assistant. Tell them I said so.
Barndoorio
Member # 69

that should work, whilst on an internet forum on work time it was suggested that I need an assistant to help me get through my work! [Smile]
Femme Folle
Member # 25

You might want to refer to me simply as "an associate" and leave out all that internet stuff.
Barndoorio
Member # 69

I'd miss these chats if I ever go back to 9-5.

If I get an assistant, I'll maker them send you a thankyou card.

Femme Folle
Member # 25

Awww, that's sweet. Only an hour and 10 to go.
Barndoorio
Member # 69

not for me.

3 hours and 5.

Femme Folle
Member # 25

Is the OTF clock wrong, or are you 6 hours ahead of NY instead of 5?

I'm confused. It happens.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC