This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Damned Utd (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Damned Utd
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never mind, I think I need sleep now. I don't know what I was thinking.

Sorry I must leave you now.

Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barndoorio
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Barndoorio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's 4.01 am here.

and you leaving means I can reclaim the board at least.

Have a good day.

Posts: 5360 | From: Glorious Taunton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on his portrayal in the book, if there is a film adaptation, this is who should play Johnny Giles:

-

Is he really like that? Always with a sly, witty riposte, like some sort of evil ghost or something.

Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to The Graun, that bloke out off of Life On Mars is going to be doing readings of this. Or something.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad this thread's been rehabilitated, as I've recently finally got round to reading this. And in the main I concur with the Stroke's very informed review upthread.

Although I share some of Tubby's reservations about repetitious dialogue (some of the "up the stairs, under the stand, through the corridor" stuff was needless, though such repetition worked rather better in the more pointed monologues about " his [Revie's] desk, his office, his team" etc.

I don't really get this criticism of Tubby's though:
quote:
And I didn't get much of a sense of the period either.

Why should we get much of a sense of the period though? It's essentially a journey round the fevered insides of someone's head - it would have been forced and unconvincing to drop in references to The Sweet or the 1973 Arab-Israeli conflict.

It's a great book, and how pertinent that it's come to prominence at a time when Leeds have become more hated than at any time since that period.

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think it was good enough to stand outside time, as a classic piece of psychology or tragedy or whatever. The period is something that usually brings historical novels alive, but as you say, it's better if it doesn't read like Stuart Maconie's written it.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see it as a historical novel though, particularly.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was using the term pretty loosely, just to mean a novel set in the past. You're right that the psychology is more important. But I didn't find this that good, and when that's the case, I tend to find myself looking for something else, like a reflection of the period. Do you think Clough would have acted that way if he were a manager now? The setting is relevant in that respect, and I didn't get much sense of it.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mafu
Member # 1663

- posted      Profile for mafu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was alright, but far from great. The subject matter is clearly pretty juicy and that carries it along a fair distance, but this sort of thing stands or falls on the voice and style and i wasn't completely convinced by that. I had a problem with the repetition, which started to feel to me like a rather lazy option for Peace to pursue. I think that sort of thing can work but it needs a lot of craft and i'm not sure that was in the book.
Posts: 255 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

One thing that was missing was any great in-depth talk about the intricacies of football itself - tactics, style etc - but that would be understandable if you're trying to reach out beyond an audience of just, say, WSC readers. But event then, I think it does a pretty good job of illuminating what, say, Clough's Derby and Revie's Leeds symbolised about the footballing philosophies of the day.
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His fucking 100th post...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is he really like that? Always with a sly, witty riposte, like some sort of evil ghost or something.
no, he's generally a very nice, amiable old flat-cap wearing dude. but he can be sharp if he doesn't like you.

hector o'heochagain: "come on now gilesy, cristiano ronaldo, 22 goals from the wing would ya ever cut him a bit of slack and admit you were wrong."

giles: "you're a comedian, am i right?"

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Euro 2000 . . .

Bill O'Herlihy: "John, are you not being a little harsh on England?"

Giles: "I think I'm being quite kind to them, actually, Bill."

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ale
Member # 107

- posted      Profile for ale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
''One thing that was missing was any great in-depth talk about the intricacies of football itself - tactics, style etc - but that would be understandable if you're trying to reach out beyond an audience of just, say, WSC readers''

I think Peace was starting from the premise that his audience would be familiar with the events at Leeds in 1974 and the style of Cloughs management...not necessarily contemporarily (though this in itself is a wide readership) but knowing enough about the history of football to be interested...

building in the intricacies of football would have been pointless for this particular story...not least because Clough has never been accredited with tactical nous anyway...the 2.55 pm dressing room presentation of a football and telling the players to pass it to a team mate keep it on the floor and dont argue with the ref is probably simplistic but motivation rather than tactics was his management strength..

which again in the context of Peaces story is telling...Revie had coached the players to death with footballs intricacies which Clough clearly had no truck with hence the tension...

Posts: 3315 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The cantering captain
Member # 942

- posted      Profile for The cantering captain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fairly enjoyable book, though it goes on a bit. The whole thing comes across as an almighty blunder by the Leeds board I thought, appointing a man with a style of management that is the polar opposite of his predecessor, and then bottling it when the going gets a little bit rough.

I enjoyed some of the stories, like why he wears the green top ( effectively 'luck ? bollocks to luck, oh and fuck you don revie' ), and also the chairman locking up the bar in his office. Why don't I have a bar in my office ?

Posts: 1476 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC